How do you use the harmonic minor scale?

• Members

How is the harmonic minor scale generally used?

What is its most practical application? How do most people use it?

Is it used mainly in fifth mode when on the V chord before it resolves to the I minor? Or:

Do you use the harmonic minor in the entire song over a harmonic scale chord progression: Am- Dm- F- E?

Can you use the harmonic scale over a minor chord in a major scale progression: A-F#m-- D -E. Can you use the hm scale over the F#m?

I know you can do whatever you like to as long as it sounds good, but what I'm asking is, What are the general applications of the harmonic minor scale?

How do you unlock its potential?

• Members

Harmonic minor is not very common nowadays. It was the minor tonality of choice prior to the bebop revolution (Tin Pan Alley, New Orleans swing, etc.) I first started using them when I picked up a method book written by Johnny Smith. They have a minor quality that is more floating and ethereal than the natural minor, and less directed or propulsive than the melodic minor.

It is often used today by composers who favor Lydian tonalities (not that many of them). Three modes of the harmonic minor are Lydian scales with one note altered. Also, if you are in a minor key and you see an augmented major 7th chord, you can use the third mode of the harmonic minor scale.

And you can always just use it over most minor modes in major scale tonality to add dissonance or chromaticism. Try it on the ii of a ii-V7-I.

For example. Dmin7 - G7 - Cmaj7
Normally starting on the 7th of Dmin7, to the third of G7, to the 7th of Cmaj7 will give you the very pleasing C-B-B.
Since the fourth degree of a dominant 7th chord is dissonant (the C in G7), it is often raised a 1/2 step to C#.
Notice how this ties into the harmonic minor over the ii chord. Instead og going 7-3-7, you can go #7-#11-7, or C#-C#-B. Again very minimal and pleasing, but a totally different quality.

More modern composers generally approach the same problem (the 7th of the ii chord being dissonant to the V7 chord) by using sus chords. Which I think is one of the reasons why the harmonic minor has fallen out of use.

• Members

How is the harmonic minor scale generally used?

What is its most practical application? How do most people use it?

Is it used mainly in fifth mode when on the V chord before it resolves to the I minor?

It's commonly used over a V7alt chord in a minor key.

I am studying the jazz standard Autumn Leaves...there is a minor cadence (progression that resolves to the minor key)

Amin7b5 - D7b9 - Gmin6, this is a ii - V - i in G minor.

Over the ii and V chords, I will use the G harmonic minor. I guess by default I am using the respective modes (the locrian 6 and the phrygian dominant scales) but I don't really look at it that way.

It is more suitable than the melodic minor because the G harmonic minor contains the Eb (b9 of the D7b9 chord) while the melodic minor contains the natural E, which clashes with the Eb of the D7b9 chord.

That being said, I will switch to the melodic minor or even the dorian scale when I go back to the Gmin6.

Do you use the harmonic minor in the entire song over a harmonic scale chord progression: Am- Dm- F- E?

That would work as all of the triads of those chords fall under the A harmonic minor scale. Just be sure you choose notes that serve to outline those chords while your playing over the progression (i.e. chord tones). For example, a strong tension point in a line you can create will have the G# while playing over the E chord.

Can you use the harmonic scale over a minor chord in a major scale progression: A-F#m-- D -E. Can you use the hm scale over the F#m?

I would say give it a shot. If it sounds good, then it's good.

Looking at this from a traditional I-vi-IV-V progression, I would stick to the natural minor scale (aside from the position of the 7th tone, the harmonic and natural minor scales are identical), but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

My preference (as a jazz hack) is to stay diatonic within that specific chord progression and maybe add a little dissonance on the V chord, which in your example is the E.

I don't have a lot of exposure to the harmonic minor scale. I'm learning this as a go along but I thought I'd share my ideas. I hope they helped.

• Members

Thanks for the helpful info, guys. Thamiam and Dave, thank you especially for all the research and help you put into your post.

Thamia, I would also think that the C# of the D harmonic minor would resolve nicely to the 5th of the G, D.

I have often read that the harmonic minor is the "scale of choice" for heavy metal.
How is the scale used in heavy metal?

I have also read that the harmonic minor is just that, the "harmonic" minor, a scale used to give a stronger V-Im harmonic cadence.

Many method books say to use the natural minor in a minor key until the V major chord; then use the harmonic minor of the key center to outline the major quality of the V chord. As dave said, it will also give the dom b9 chord, which resolves nicely to a minor chord. But I find it easier to cheat and simply play the vii dim 7 chord before the Im (same thing).

That's an interesting concept, dave switching back and forth between two minor scales.

• Members

Originally posted by black cobra

Thanks for the helpful info, guys. Thamiam and Dave, thank you especially for all the research and help you put into your post.

Thanks, I did a little bit of research, especially coming up with the mode names of the harmonic minor. I didn't know them until I looked them up this evening.

Like I said, my exposure to the harmonic minor scale is minimal though I am somewhat aware of the uses.

I have often read that the harmonic minor is the "scale of choice" for heavy metal.

How is the scale used in heavy metal?

From what I understand, Yngwie Malmsteen used it frequently. I would start by listening to some of his music. Maybe a prog rock guitarist can chime in here.

I have also read that the harmonic minor is just that, the "harmonic" minor, a scale used to give a stronger V-Im harmonic cadence.

Many method books say to use the natural minor in a minor key until the V major chord; then use the harmonic minor of the key center to outline the major quality of the V chord. As dave said, it will also give the dom b9 chord, which resolves nicely to a minor chord. But I find it easier to cheat and simply play the vii dim 7 chord before the Im (same thing).

As to the natural minor, I don't use it that much. As a jazz hack, my reference materials steer me more toward the dorian scale. However, if you're in a I-iv-IV-V in a major key and you wanted to stay inside the box (stay within the key), then you'd use the natural minor over the vi chord.

The harmonic minor scale is good for the V chord because, using our example, the G harmonic minor scale has an F#, which is the 3rd of the V chord D7b9. If you use a natural minor, the F# becomes F. Therefore, you don't have a scale that has the notes of the D7b9's tritone (F#,C). I would want those notes available to me in a scale to highlight the tension of the dominant chord.

I know the minor7b5 chord serves as a dominant function but I'm not clear on the details. I need to ask my teacher at lesson tomorrow.

I think thamiam knows far more about this subject than me so I hope he's reading through all of this and can make additional comments.

• Members

I have often read that the harmonic minor is the "scale of
choice" for heavy metal. How is the scale used in heavy
metal?

From what I understand, Yngwie Malmsteen used it frequently. I would start by listening to some of his music. Maybe a prog rock guitarist

Yngwie plays it almost exclusive over the V. Listen to any of his "classical influenced metal" things and there'll be a HM5 run over the dominant. It's a bit hard to fell the tonality 'cause he's playing so fast :). It's not just Ynwie overplaying this scale however. Most 80th metal heroes used it a lot.

You'll also find HM often used when the dominant of a minor progression is a major (or power) chord.

Btw. If you have a friend listening to classical music ask him for some Camille Saint-Saens stuff. It's a composer who used the HM scale quite a lot in his compositions. My favorite is his organ symphony.

Nils

• Members

Originally posted by Macblah-1

Excellent thread!

Edit:

Dave, about the dominant function of the m7b5 chord, this is how i see it: In the key of C major for example i think of the Bm7b5 as a G9 chord without the G in the root.

Doh...yep. Thank you for clarifying that. I don't know why I didn't see that before.

Archived