sitting and playing

• Members

OK. This question may be lame, but its driving me nuts. I can't seem to find a comfortable way to sit and play (acoustic or electric). I am speaking mostly of barre chords as opposed to open chords.

The problem is this: When I just set the guitar on my right leg, so that the headstock hovers over my left leg, I can play fine, except when I want to play barre chords, and then it feels very awkward. The more I swing the headstock AWAY from my left (and my body) the easier it is for me to form barres--but then it seems very extreme to me.

I've tried really hugging the guitar with my right arm, and pointing to guitar more or less towards my left knee, and that seems like a happy medium, but it is still uncomfortable. I've tried alternating the way I sit, legs open, one leg up, sitting with the weight distributed on one side--but then my back just ends up hurting.

Yeah, I know some one will suggest just putting it on to my left knee and forgetting about all that, but the simple truth is--I just don't like that way either. None of my favorite guitar players hold it that way.

All I want is to be able to grab it and play, and not have to fidget all around if I want to slip a barre in there somewhere. Is that too much to ask?

A side note: I also have an issue with my electric. It's a strat and so it's much thinner and sleeker, which I like, but it kind of sits on the corner of my hip, so sometimes I feel like my strumming arm is held way back.

Help!

• Members

You cant change the shape of the guitar, or the manner in which it forces you to play it.

Get used to it...

I tend to situp more and lean over the guitar when sitting down. This helps some. If i lay back against a rest its harder for me.

Some people use a short strap for sitdown work as well. Since its easier to play a guitar up high on a strap this works for most.

• Members

I say always play with a strap. Get yourself a comfortable and effective position standing, and then keep your torso exactly the same, and just bend your knees and waist to sit down. If this causes your lower body to hit your guitar, then you're playing with the guitar too low. Shorten your strap until you can keep your position consistent standing or sitting. Consistency is important not only in playing well, but in avoiding repetitive stress injuries.

If you feel you have to wear the guitar low, then some discomfort is the price you pay.

• Members

Originally posted by thamiam

Shorten your strap until you can keep your position consistent standing or sitting. Consistency is important not only in playing well, but in avoiding repetitive stress injuries.

If you feel you have to wear the guitar low, then some discomfort is the price you pay.

Thats just it--I don't care at all about playing low, in fact, I think it looks silly. I have no problem wearing the guitar up higher on the body. My problem is a comfort issue. I do wear as strap as well, (when I play) and it is as high as it will allow. I was just not really aware that playing on the right leg, like I see so many people do, creates so many issues.

The guitar slides all around and is difficult to hold, requiring me to fidget constantly to keep it held in place. Nothing is more frustrating for me than flubbing a chord because the neck dipped.

Archived