Help a brother out... Applying the Aug 7 chord...

• Members

I've been working with the dim and aug chords for a while and thanks to all of you guys, feel pretty comfortable with them both inversion and application wise. So, I decided to turn to the next chapter of my Geetar for Dullards 101, Simpleton Edition and take on augmented sevenths. I found two semi-comfortable inversions to play with and feel OK with them.

Now, what's some decent applications for them?

I was playing around with a fairly simple one chord groove in "A" switching between Maj6, Maj7, Aug, Aug7, and then back to Maj7. It helped to solidify the chord shape and its overall tone quite a bit.

How about some (semi) simple progressions that use a +7 chord so I can see it applied?

Thanks again!

• Members

Aug 7 chords frequesntly work well for smooth voice leading as V7 chords moving to one in a major key. In minor, you can do this as well, but the movement of the leading tone in this instance ios enharmonic with the 3rd of the I chord. Also of interest for key changes, An augmented triad is enharmonic for 3 different chord names. example: C augmented is the same as E augmented which is the same as G#/Ab augmented. Obviously this gets hairier with seventh chords,m and I havent figured out the permutations, but im sure you can if interested.

Archived