Ab chord in a-minor progression.

edeltorus

• Members

Last saturday I had a nice jam-session with a friend, and we came up with a chord progression to play over:

Amin / Ab / Amin / Ab

C / bm7b5 / E / Amin

I've played natural minor in a over this progression, and it fits well, even over the Ab chord.

Since this chord is out of the diatonic progression I wonder what other scale options I would have to improvise over it. I took my theory books and tried to find out if it's a doubledominant or something, but I found nothing.

So, what scale options do I have, and furthermore: what's the function of this chord (doubledominat, or tritone-sub of whatever or how do you explain it's existance)?

Thanks a lot,

Nils

• Members

Harmonic minor is a good choice. Don't ask me why I didn't found out that myself. I play so much harmonic these days, it should have been obvious. :)

Anyways, I never played the 7th degree chord of harmonic minor, so I took a look at it, and what I found is strange. There are two possible chords I can construct on the 7th degree:

Either as a dimished (7, 2, 4) or as an augumented (7, b3, 5) chord. I'm not able to construct a major at the 7th degree without altering either the 4 up or the 5 down.

I'm giving it a try with harmonic minor b5.

Thanks a lot,
Nils

Archived