what is this so called box pattern

dix0r

• Members

scales come in patterns. if u play the scale of Aminor on the 5th fret u'll see a pattern. if u shift this patter one fret up, u'll get the same pattern, but u are now playing Bb minor.

that i believe, they call a box pattern.

• Members

Here's a moveable box pattern for the major scale. This example is in F (root is the first note on either E string and the second note on the D string). You can play all of these notes without changing positions, so you're using just that "box" of the fretboard. Any good scale book will have box patterns for all of the modes of major, harmonic minor, melodic minor and major/minor pentatonic if you're interested in learning more.

• Members

Like Metalhead showed - the "box" pattern is your basic minor pentatonic lead form (Form 1) used in most rock leads. When I started out, I'd never heard of pentatonics (22 yrs ago), I just learned the box like every one else. I have a good "basic" lesson on pentatonic lead patterns on my site. Check 'em out and give a listen - it'll come easy after you see and hear it.

-Bob

http://guitar-wav.com

• Members

If you want to learn more about pattern playing may i suggest my free lessons on them below. :)

What they are in simple terms is a picture of what notes work in a scale form. You mentally memorize that picture and then in your mind you overlay that image anywhere on the neck you like and whaa-la! success! :D

Pattern playing makes scales alot easier. And it also gives good solid starting points for beginning lead players to base solos on. I go into more detail in the lessons....

• Members

Another way to look at this is that notes that fit the current chord in the song, or that fit in the key of the song, will be found in a box such as shown here. That box would be where the barre chord of the same root is found. You can concievably play through all of the chords in a 3 chord rock song in the key of A, wihtout ever leaving the location of the A barre chord.

This will bore everyone else more quickly than it will you, but if you know nothing else at all, you can get started with this by practicing getting around on those notes alone, and soon start thinking you are getting the hang of this lead-playing thing. (That is, until the next time you put Satriani on!)

METALHEAD quite appropriately selected the location of a first position A barre for his example. Using that, I can give you the first step at getting out of the box.

With what you've seen thus far, you are inclined to start with your index finger on the 5th fret and the 6th string. BUT, if you start with your ring finger on the same fret, you will then find you can reach the 3rd note in the A major scale with your index finger on the 4th fret, 2nd string. This opens up a whole new look at scales of all types. (After you do this, look at some scale charts again, and see if you agree.)

Learn to approach the box from both points of view. Which way you use at a given time will depend partly on where you intend to go next.

Also, notice that when playing a rock or blues song in A, the chords are 1, 4, 5, (A, D, E). The 4th barre chord is in second position, over the same frets as the first position A! VERY convenient. So, you don't have to slide the whole block up from the 5th fret to the 10th when the chord changes to D. The notes for the D are right there as well.

And further, the 3rd position E (played like a D chord, but at the 4th fret) is also right there in the neighborhood. This is what I meant in the first paragraph about staying in the same location for a given key.

One last thing: Don't confuse the term 'block formation' with the term 'block chords'. Block chords are still the ones (you probably learned first -- remember 'House of the Rising Sun?') I know the lingo is confusing, but this is music, and the terminology sometimes seems to be MEANT to addle you.

This is by no-means all that can be said about it, but I hope it was helpful.

g

Archived