? about A mi Pentatonic

• Members

My instructor has given me this and A mi Blues as my home work until our next class in 2 weeks. On the Pentatonic I can't get my pinky to stretch all the way to the 8th Fret. What can I do to make this easier?

Also just to make sure I am doing this correctly am I supposed to play one chord at a time right? Like 1 finger on the 6th string 5th fret then 4th finger on 6th string 8th fret? Or am I supposed to keep my finger on the first chord when I hit the next one?

PS: I am confused

• Members

Originally posted by DJayhawk

My instructor has given me this and A mi Blues as my home work until our next class in 2 weeks. On the Pentatonic I can't get my pinky to stretch all the way to the 8th Fret. What can I do to make this easier?

First off, warm up thoroughly...then stretch your hands out.

Once you've done that, try practicing the pattern at the 12th fret instead of the 5th. Once your hand gets accustomed to it, move down one fret, and work on it there. Gradually work your way down...this may take a couple hours....or days....or weeks. Take your time...if you feel pain, stop. Eventually you'll be playing it at the 1st fret like it was nothing.

Also, make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, roughly behind your middle finger, and that no part of your palm touches the neck.

Also just to make sure I am doing this correctly am I supposed to play one chord at a time right? Like 1 finger on the 6th string 5th fret then 4th finger on 6th string 8th fret? Or am I supposed to keep my finger on the first chord when I hit the next one?

PS: I am confused

You're using the word 'chord' when you mean 'note'. I recommend you lift each finger slightly after you've used it. You don't want to develop the 'index finger as anchor' habit....I made that mistake, and I may never fully repair it. :D

• Members

DJ

your teacher should have told you the mechanics(whether you keep fingers down etc...)

I dsagree with what Auggie said .......keep your "low" note (5th fret 6th string)down while you play the the "high" note(8th fret 6th string)

Always keep the lower note on the same string down(they'res some exceptions) .

That way they connect and there isn't a "glitch" killed note...When you're ready you'll learn that technique.

When you switch to the 5th string's "low" note the fingers lift off the 6th string in sync ...and so on through to the 1st.

Butch

• Members

Well I think he did but I don't remember because it was in the last like 4 or 3 mins of our class and he was rushing.

So is this something that I should be doing to help me move my fingers over the different chords and kind of warm up my fingers/hand?

I really feel a little lost right now. This is my second lesson and instead of showing me some beginner chords and maybe a song or 2 that I can practice playing he has me doing this. I am just trying to stay positive though.

Thanks for the help, and letting me vent

• Members

if you are wanting to learn how to be a guitarist, then your teacher is doing the right thing, you can learn songs on your own once you learn what he/she is teaching you.

if on the other hand you just want to play guitar, then maybe you could ask your teacher to teach you some songs first and what not?

my theory is, since the pentatonic minor scale is only 5 notes, and its not TOO hard to play, you are being taught that first to get your finger strength up, and then chords will be easier to learn in your lessons... thats just a guess.

• Members

Scales are some of the eaisest things to learn in music. Especially on guitar because you have shapes to remember them with.

Now Chords VS. Notes Chords are a group of notes that are struck simotanusley are very close to geahter. Chords consist of atleast two notes. Note is a singulear pitch as in when you hit a tuneing fork.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Always keep the lower note on the same string down(they'res some exceptions) .

That way they connect and there isn't a "glitch" killed note...When you're ready you'll learn that technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I havent been playing guitar long but i have played music all my life and Im going to say anchoring your finger like this is a bad habit to start esp. at this formative time in his guitar playing career.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just keep particeing man and do what comes natural if you are having to try real hard there might be something wrong. If it hurts your hand dont do it. Do it the way that feels the best. now you also might try doing the Am penatonic scale at the third frett i find it a bit eaiser to do there than the one at the 5th frett. And you could awalys move it up an octive. But since you have an acousitc the upper octive might be a harder reach.

And at this time playing fast shouldent even be in your mind you need to get your tendins streched before you think about playing fast. Go nice and slow and ease into it. If it starts to hurt which it shouldent stop for awhile and regroupe abit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thats all i have to say for now if i think of something else latter i will post it up.

Archived