need your advice

Markf

• Members

Originally posted by Markf

What can I buy as a device that I can use to record progressions so I can practice soloing over them? I have a Yamahapowered mixer an EMX 660 that I can plug it into.

Have you tried recording to your PC? Connect your mixer to your PC's soundcard input. Get some recording software for your PC (I got mine free on the cover disk of a Guitar magazine). The software will be useful for playing back the progressions recorded via your mixer, as well as files imported via the web (midi, mp3 files etc.). Put the software on loop play and your ready to go. The playback quality will be limited by the quality of your monitors. :)

• Members

thanks Dann, but I'm not real computer savvy. Is there something

else that keeps the PC out of it. What are samplers or loopers?

My gear is all in a totally separate room from the PC which has lousy monitors anyway.

• Members

thanks Dann, but I'm not real computer savvy. Is there something

else that keeps the PC out of it. What are samplers or loopers?

My gear is all in a totally separate room from the PC which has lousy monitors anyway.

Hey Markf,

In that case, I would suggest a digital multitrack recorder. The prices are falling all the time and there are products available that target guitarists such as the Boss BR-532 and BR1180CD, the Korg PX4. Check out products from Fostex, Zoom and Yamaha too.

Alternatively, check out the Roland JS-5 JamStation. It may fit your requirements perfectly. In fact, most drum machines will do other instruments and generate a backing track. I use the JamStation's predecessor, the Boss DR-5 and it is very guitarist friendly.

Best regards,

Andy.

P.S. Samplers are used a great deal in electronic and dance music. A snippet of music is recorded and repeated (looped). It is often combined with a Sequencer which basically coordinates at what time the sampler should be called to play its audio snippet.

P.P.S. I'm new to this PC recording thing. Don't be intimidated - if you can post on Harmony Central, you can manage it. Check out this thread to see how straightforward I found it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360599

• Members

Andy,

thanks, very helpful reply. I'll look into the Boss products you

mentioned. By the way, are you using Mesa Boogie amps? I

hear they are great. I have a Vox AC-30TBX myself and love it.

Ever compared these two?

• Members

Andy,

thanks, very helpful reply. I'll look into the Boss products you

mentioned. By the way, are you using Mesa Boogie amps? I

hear they are great. I have a Vox AC-30TBX myself and love it.

Ever compared these two?

Hi Markf,

I'm glad I could be of service. :)

I bought a Mesa F-50 a couple of months ago, ending several years of searching for my ideal tupe amp. I did try a Vox AC-30 in that time, and there's no doubt it's a fantastic amp. It's no accident the three tonal bases for session musicians are Fender, Vox and Marshall.

I love the boosted gain tones of the Vox a la Brian May. On the clean side though, my tastes lean more towards Fender. The F-50 has the most Fender-like cleans I've heard from Mesa, as well as a beautifully vocal distortion tone that is just wonderful for singing lead work. The fact that it is inexpensive, was for me, just a bonus (my second choice would have been the more expensive Mesa MkIV). Have a listen to the audio clips in my signature and let me know what you think. :)

• Members

Hey Andy, very nice both clean and overdriven. Your right about

the clean and Fender analogy. Is that a strat you used? The

clean recording sounded like jimi style.

Thanks for the compliment, Markf. I used my Charvel Strat for the clean clips which is loaded with Seymour Duncan Classic Stack pick ups. The toon is very Jimi Hendrix/Curtis Mayfield-ish, and it's lifted from a Richie Kotzen track with the band Poison (of all places).

The gain sound with the backing track is also with my Charvel, this time using the bridge pick up - a Seymour Duncan JB Jnr. The other gain sound - the one with HB pick ups, is recorded with my PRS Custom 22.

There are more details in this thread and this thread.

Archived