What is this kind of lick called (clip)?

snakum

• Members

Please excuse my considerable ignorance ...

What do you call the two short single-string breaks (played twice) at the end of each verse in this clip? Is this an arpeggio or is it something else? It's not an actual chord, so I would think not, but I dunno {censored}e about terminology. I seem to remember there was a term for doing this in a jazz context.

Also, when I play them, I sweep the pick from the A string all the way down to a hammer-on on the E string. Is this essentially what you guys call 'sweep picking'?

Lastly ... are arpeggios always picked with a sweeping motion? If so, why is 'sweep picking' considered a different skill/technique?

http://www.activesolutions.com/music/jazzy.mp3

Thanks for teaching an old dog new tricks ...

Minh

• Members

Sweep Picking. the master of sweep picking is jason becker but he's a noe classical guy, maybe check out frank gambale. and yes i'd consider sweep picking hard to do well but you seem to do it rather good but keep practising as always :) I'm not too sure I answered everything :(

• Members

Originally posted by snakum

So this is just a sweep picked lick? I thought I read a name for this kind of lick in a jazz context, but I may be mistaken.

Are arpeggios always chords?

Minh

In a way, yes. Arpeggios are spelled out chords - one note at the time in descending or ascending sequences of varying length.

Sweep picking or pick rakes are only refering to an often used technique of

playing arpeggios on guitar .

Archived