Fast bend & pull-off from higher fret to open string

joegrant413

• Members

Any tips on doing fast pull-offs from a somewhat higher fret to an open string?

I'm practicing a solo that has a bend then pull-off from the 7th string, 3rd string to the open 3rd string. And then the solo moves right along to other strings around the 7th fret.

I've tried muting the second string just before the 3rd string bend, and bending toward the 4th string so it snaps back to the 2nd string. But I don't always bend the right direction. And I wind up getting obnoxious buzzing off my right hand fingernails when the string snaps back.

Anyway, your tips would be appreciated.

Thx,

-- Joe

P.S. The solo is Dave Gilmour's 'Money,' I've loved learning it.

• Members

personally i would bend up towards you (if that makes sense) rather than pulling down, just my personal preference, i like picking then really shoving those strings up.

maybe play the G as 5th fret D string and just pick quickly rather than pulling off.

if you are still gonna pulloff (which is cool) then i would do the bend, release the bend then twist my hand off the string for the pulloff so i could come straight back in around the 7th fret to keep playing.Sorry for being a bit unclear its hard to describe hand motions with words.

I will have to learn the solos in that track soon for sure, im still bashing away at Comfortably Numb but havent got it properly sussed yet.

• Members

I tell a lie actually.I played the notes you described and found that the easiest way for me to play it was for me to do the bend then when i released it i repicked the string to play the open note.

Gilmour has too many wicked solos to be fair, they are great to learn and mostly not insanely hard either.

Archived