Whammy Pre-Dip before hitting the notes

davecon

• Members

Dipping the Whammy it advance of striking the note.

Players such as Allan Holdsworths and the late Allan Murphy are/were masters of this style.

Can anyone supply me with any tips that would enable me to accurately incorporate this style into my playing.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

...and Adrian Belew. He's masterful at it.

I'm not a teacher or even a technician, but I can offer this advice from learning this technique:

Get comfortable with your whammy bar, so that you can easily play chords and solo lines while you still have the handle in your palm. The pre-dip technique then becomes easier... it's just an exaggerated version of the motion that brings your pick to the strings... Dig in with the bar, and then strike your note(s), releasing the whammy pressure as you complete the striking of the notes.

Damn, I guess there's a reason I'm not a teacher. I'm not very good at explaining these things :)

I think the real trick is in becoming very comfortable with your whammy bar. You should be able to use it in the middle of a run to dip certain notes. That just comes from focused practice on the subject.

Dig

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Get a Jeff Beck video. Jeff is a master of whammy bar control, and uses it constantly. Like uncledig said, you will want to be very comfortable with the bar in your palm. You may want to tighten up the spring tension to keep from accidentaly wiggling the bar until you are used to it.

Archived