Alternate tunings on electric guitar

• Members

I have been playing around with alternate tunings on my accustic guitar and have been wondering what some of these tunings would sound like on a electric with some delay and chorus effects. I,d try it but it is too hard to set up my strat because of the trim. Some of the tunings I find interesting are, DADGAD,Drop D, Double dropped D, and CGDGAD. Does anyone have any expereance in using some of these tunings on electric? Will any good electric with a fixed bridge work well for going from one tuning to another and back or is there one that works better?Please post any advice or thoughts.

Originally posted by mccoyson

Will any good electric with a fixed bridge work well for going from one tuning to another and back or is there one that works better?Please post any advice or thoughts.

Yes. An electric with a fixed bridge will be more like an acoustic in terms of tuning stability. You could try stopping the trem on your electric by a combination of adding springs to the backside, blocking the space in the cavity with a piece of wood, or other methods. Different types of trem systems can be stopped by different methods.

• Members

If you're sportin' enough cash there are two other options:

1) The Trans-Performance System: A computerized bridge that actually tunes your guitar to any alternate (or standard) tuning with the touch of a button. Jimmy Page has one, I believe.

(See the version of "Kashmir" on the Page/Plant "Unleaded" video) If I remember correctly, this thing retails for about three large and is built by someone in Ft. Collins, CO.

2) The Roland VG-88 (or, its predecesor, the VG-8)

Allows you to digitally re-tune without touching your instrument. I think this guy has about a $1,800 price tag.

:cool:

• Members

I use open D (DADF#AD low to high) and open E (EBEG#BE) as much or more than regular tuning on electric. Tuning down works best with heavier strings and not super low action. Very easy to buzz out if action is low, and really slinky strings sound too thin. I never use less than .10s, and probably should be using .11s.

I play a lot of slide in open D and E. Same exact tunings, separated by one whole note, but big sound difference. Lower gives a nasty, swampy feel, assuming you're playing good and loud through a good tube amp. Sloppy, but cool. Tuning higher tightens up the bass, gives better definition to each note.

Archived