symetrical scail

flat5

• Members

... The election of Lisa Scails as the president of the NAACP's state chapter is being challenged by the presidents of two local chapters. ...

Oh you mean "scales" I bet.

The form of the scale you request information about is located here: http://www.unitedtrackers.org/resources/theory/symmetrical.htm

The easiest way to explain these is that the scale interval form is different from the Major and 3 minor scale forms.

This is a detailed theory-based answer which requires musical understanding, but it's explained very well at the site above.

• Members

i would love to follow the link but it wont work
my theort teacher allways made jokes about scails/scales
whatever i care more about how chords are spelt
anyway do you understand the question even tho there is a little itty there to test ya

• Members

You can go to Google.com and type in Symmetrical Scales to find info since the site link is bad.

Spelling chords starts with triads. M, m, Aug, dim

another interval related musical understanding got to read music and know the staff info.

This what ya want?

There are three common types of symmetrical scales:

Chromatic - this is pretty straightforward... it's all 12 notes in consecutive order.

Whole Tone - Similar to the chromatic scale, but it's only 6 notes. Each note is a whole step apart. The whole tone scale goes together with the augmented traid. When you built triads off of the notes of the whole tone scale, you only end up with augmented triads (and only 2 different ones per scale).

Due to symmetry, there are only two whole tone scales:
C D E F# G# Bb C
Db Eb F G A B Db

Spelling is somewhat arbitrary, but those are the only two groupings of notes whole tones apart.

Diminished - repeating pattern of either half step/whole step or the other way around, whole step/half step. Likewise, they are called half-whole diminished or whole-half diminished.

Like the whole tone scale, due to symmetry, if you were to build a diminished scale off each of the 12 chromatic notes, the overlapping would end up with only 3 unique groups of notes. The diminished scale is an 8 note scale (sometimes called octatonic).

The diminished scale (whole half) is compatable with diminished 7th chords.

The inverted diminished scale (half whole) is compatible with dominant7b9 chords.

The use of whole tone and diminished aren't really for modulation. They are mostly used for altering dominant chords. Like stated above, the diminished scale works with dom7b9 sounds. The whole tone scale works with dom7#5 sounds. So, over dominant quality chords is where these two scales get most of their usage.

• Members

My personal favorite uses of symmetrical scales:

Whole tone: Over dominant 7th chords w/ raised or lowered fifth. (Although in the case of dominant 7th w/ #11(b5) I usually prefer the sound of the Lydian Dominant scale.)

Diminished half/whole: Over dominant 7th chords
w/ #4(b5), b9, #9, nat13 (the dim h/w scale contains all of these alterations/extensions.)

Diminished whole/half: Over dim7 chords and over mi7 chords (to create tension.)

:cool:

• Members

There's also a six note symetrical scale refered to as the "augmented scale" (not the whole-tone), or "symetrical augmented" that is constructed minor third-semitone-minor third-semitone-minor third-semitone.
Michael Brecker employs this one quite a bit. I keep telling myself I'm going to try to get it in my "bag-o-trix" but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow - I can use todays' earlier bout with oral surgery as an excuse!
Here's a website that gives some info as to it's uses, etc....
http://www.geocities.com/chero12kee/augmented.html

• Members

Originally posted by SeattleRuss

There's also a six note symetrical scale refered to as the "augmented scale" (not the whole-tone), or "symetrical augmented" that is constructed minor third-semitone-minor third-semitone-minor third-semitone.

Michael Brecker employs this one quite a bit. I keep telling myself I'm going to try to get it in my "bag-o-trix" but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow - I can use todays' earlier bout with oral surgery as an excuse!

Here's a website that gives some info as to it's uses, etc....

thanks for the link

i worked out most of the symetrical stuff analising giant steps a few years ago and untill now i havent found anything this good, it will fill in the gaps i have in my theory

thanks again

Archived