Teacher or Self-Learning?

• Members

Hi, exams will be over next week so I have been struggling with the question of whether to seek out a teacher or continue to learn on my own.

In your opinion, with all this guitar instructional material available over the net, what are some compelling reasons to learn from a teacher? Or should I stick to self-learning?

• Members

thanks for the link to the locator, but since I live in Canada, we have postal codes instead of zip codes... :(

I guess my concern is that: how do I tell if the teacher is a good teacher before I start? And if I go through a music school, what kinds of questions should I be asking the school to see which of their teachers is good for me? (besides "does he teach ___ style?")

• Members

I think whether or not you seek a techer depends more on your present "skill" level. I've been playing for about 7 years and my lead player, along with three other teachers have all told me that what I really need is just more experience, rather than instruction. They all say that a good teacher is nearly a necessity in the beginning and that self-taught players really do themselves a disservice by not seeking a instructor. Yet all but one of them are self-taught. Go figure.

Personally, I think any teacher should give one free lesson to see if him and the student click because if I hate my teacher, I'm not gonna listen to him or take his advice.

OK, so should you get a teacher? Probably. It's easier to show a technique than to describe it. it's also impossible to get immediate feedback on something you're trying to learn from a book or a video.

If you'd rather not get a teacher, I prefer learning from videos and cd's than books. Books are a pain in the ass, because it's hard to have a guitar strapped to your chest and then have to turn pages, and practically contort yourself to read the text.

So, I think I've really not helped here at all. Good luck anyway.

• Members

Find a good teacher. I have yet to meet a "self taught" player that has a real solid foundation in theory. Technique is the easy part, it is physical, the mental part is the real challenge since the desire to just "play" usually outweighs the desire to really learn/understand.

MH

• Members
Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Test me.
;)

What is the capitol of Malaysia?
What is the square root of 43578.25687
Do I fake my orgasms?

I am not saying they do not exist but they are more the exception than the rule. I base this of many years of teaching experience and a couple of years spent perusing this forum.

C'mon, how many "I know all my modes, what next?" threads do we have to read only to find out they have no idea what a key signature is?

Know what I mean Vern?

MH

• Members
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky

What is the capitol of Malaysia?

Newark.

What is the square root of 43578.25687

I dunno, but it's irrational.
:p

Do I fake my orgasms?

I have no clue, but Mrs. Hanky certainly doesn't.
:D

(ok, that was cheap)
:p

I am not saying they do not exist but they are more the exception than the rule. I base this of many years of teaching experience and a couple of years spent perusing this forum.

I agree.

C'mon, how many "I know all my modes, what next?" threads do we have to read only to find out they have no idea what a key signature is?

Next time one comes up, I'm gonna start posting Pie ala Mode recipes or something.

Know what I mean Vern?

MH

I have never owned a pair of Sans-a-Belt pants.

• Members

I'd definitely seek out a teacher, one that can teach you theory and more than just one style of playing...

I'm one of those self taught players who will also agree... The last time I did any type of music theory and sight reading was in HS and I cheated... I learned how to play guitar first by watching my father when I was little and then by reading books and just learn as you go approach...

almost 29 years later I've decided it's time for me to find myself a good teacher to help me break my bad habits... He better be real good for that task....

Learning keys, modes, arpreggio's are easy, applying what you learned is the hard part... Sometimes it's nice to have someone show you what works and what doesn't...

• Members

Thanks for everyone's input:)

I called the school near me and their teachers are all fully booked, so it looks like I'll have to continue my self-learning until I can find other teachers.

The things I want to work on are : theory (and application of theory), improvisation, achieving proficiency in a wide variety of genres (including acoustic and classical)

I am certain I want to find a teacher now, so what's the best way to find one?

Originally posted by Leo Chang

Thanks for everyone's input:)

I called the school near me and their teachers are all fully booked, so it looks like I'll have to continue my self-learning until I can find other teachers.

The things I want to work on are : theory (and application of theory), improvisation, achieving proficiency in a wide variety of genres (including acoustic and classical)

I am certain I want to find a teacher now, so what's the best way to find one?

Why not call the school again and have them recommend one of the teacher's advanced students to give you lessons. They should be able to help you out on a lot of the basic and intermediate theory and improv areas.

• Members
Originally posted by Poparad

Why not call the school again and have them recommend one of the teacher's advanced students to give you lessons. They should be able to help you out on a lot of the basic and intermediate theory and improv areas.

Good idea, I'll look into that, thanks :)

• Members

FWIW, A good teacher is not just someone who plays better than you and can show you "stuff". He / she should have a game plan to get you from where you are to where you want to be .... and be able to observe and deal with the problems you may run into .... and be able to keep you interested and motivated.

You need to know where you are headed, then find a teacher to fit the bill. It's of little use finding a classical intructor if you want to learn how to play speed metal. Although having a good diverse foundation can be a great asset.

I shake my head when I run into some young people taking guitar lessons .... when I talk to them it seems that the teacher shows them how to play "stuff" .... with no plan, no theory, no developmental excersises etc. Don't get me wrong ... I think it's great that they want to learn and play, and I suppose for some people that's enough ... but I see some who are very talented and with that energy and enthusiam they could be really great players under a good teacher.

I wish I had been able to get a good teacher when I was a kid. There just weren't any around .... so we all learned from each other ... and we did pretty well. I started playing 30 years ago, and I could always hold my own .... quite a few people though I was pretty damn good .... but in the last few years I was able to take lessons from a very good teacher ... what a difference!

• Members

Here's a method for use with a teacher or for expanding self-instruction:
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=18065

Written for all levels of playing, the topics (over 100) are explained as a lesson, but easy to understand.

You won't need to contort to read the book as it was written in print large enough to be recognized with the use of a music stand. I taught instrumental music, including guitar, in public school for 20 years and the lessons have been tested to result in individuals reaching advanved understanding of musical guitar performance. From Rock to Bach this method has something for every guitarist. Take the book with you, ask the teacher if they can help you with a topic. If not, find another teacher.

p.s. my wife doesn.t fake it either :D

• Members
Personally, I think any teacher should give one free lesson to see if him and the student click because if I hate my teacher, I'm not gonna listen to him or take his advice.

Always done that myself. Think it's fairer on me and the potential pupil. Only had one guy I just couldn't get on with. Could play fast but couldn't play slowly, he said on the phone :eek: . Nice enough but no ears! I was self taught for about nine years. Got into the sad state of not coming across anyone better than myself for a few years which just inflates your head. Then heard Malmsteen and freaked! Only knew bits and pieces of things with no framework to make any sense of anything he was doing. Luckily heard
Phil Hilborne and had lessons from him. Sorry to go on so long but all I'm saying is a good teacher can save you years of aggro. Good luck.
Peace:cool:

Archived