Theory questions

• Members

Please be patient, I've never had lessons (although I wish I could afford them). I'm currently trying to figure out all the chords in 12 keys (A Ab B Bb C C# D Db and so on). I'm having a bit of trouble.

Looking at the key of Db, the notes of the scales are-

Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db. so the triads must be;

Db F Ab, Eb Gb Bb, F Ab C, Gb Bb Db, Ab C Db, and so on.

(or do I pretend the ocatve isn't there and skip to F instead of Db?)

But the main problem. I am using a diagram of all the notes on the fretboard to create the triads, but my diagram says that the note Db, G# and a few others aren't on the fretboard. Is this the case or are they simply equivilant to another note? (I.E. is Db simply a half step down from D, or what?)

Please help, thanks.

• Members

In any major key, the chords are always as follows:

Root = major
2nd = minor
3rd = minor
4th = major
5th = major
6th = minor
7th = half-diminished

Also, you are right in that Db is just a half step down from D. And C# is just a half step up from C. So that means C# and Db are the same note. They are also known as "enharmonic" notes.

• Members

All pitches have at least two different names; the correct one to use depends on its context. Two (or more) names for the same pitch are known as enharmonic equivalents.

In your example, the key of Db, it is enharmonically equivalent to the key of C#. Picture a piano...the black key between C and D is either C# or Db, depending on what key you're in, or the function of the harmony at a given moment.

Your notes: Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C yield the following chords:

Db major
Eb minor
F minor
Gb major
Ab major
Bb minor
Cm7b5 (or C half-diminished)

These sounds exactly the same as: C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

C# major
D# minor
E# minor
F# major
G# major
A# minor
B#m7b5 (or B# half-diminished)

In both cases, I wrote them out in order...notice the major/minor/m7b5 pattern: it applies to ALL major keys.

As far as all the enharmonic equivalents go...

A# = Bb
B# = C
C# = Db
D# = Eb
E# = F
F# = Gb
G# = Ab

Fb = E
Cb = B

Looking at the chromatic scale may be a good reference for you:

A--A#/Bb--B--C--C#/Db--D--D#/Eb--E--F--F#/Gb--G--G#/Ab--A

Hope that helps. :)

• Members

Said everything I needed to know and more! Thank you very much. I've been trying to get that right for a week. I figure it will be better for my playing if I know all the chords in 12 keys. (And how they fit together) Thanks again!

Archived