creative uses of the major scale?

• Members

i was just fooling around jamming some of few riffs to blue sky by the allmans, and i led myself off into some really pleasant sounding fills based around the major scale and an E-B-A progression

i've been playing for 12 years, but i'm largely, well entirely, without any lessons aside from reading and learning on my own

so i have probably more dexterity and physical ability than i have musical knowledge, but i've been working hard developing a good ear and it's helped me tremendously as has learning songs by listening and applying new concepts

can anyone recommend a good course of action to pursue learning more about the major scale and application in a rock context?

i really dig the allman brothers and zz top, and the allmans, particularly ol' dickey seem to use the major scale quite a bit for melody lines

i'd like to work on creating melody lines over chord progressions with a bit more understanding of what i'm doing by ear, and if anyone can recommend how i should go about this, ie lessons or literature, i'd appreciate it immensely:)

• Members

You could try shifting between major and major pentatonic, by leaving out the 4th and 7th degrees. That'll put you more in the southern rock territory. This month's issue of Guitar One has a column about it.

Archived