string bending question

om14

• Members

Can you (physically) bend strings more than 1 step ? I have a power tab for a song called "Estranged" by Guns N' Roses and there are a few places in the tab which call for 1 1/2 step string bends. As a rule of thumb, if I bend a string to the position of the next higher string (e.g. 2nd string -> 3rd string), that's 1/2 step; if I bend a string to the position of the 2nd higher string (e.g. 2nd string -> 4th string), that's 1 step. Actually, this rule is based on some experimentation on my part-- in other words, checking if the bent note is the same as the note on the bent string one or two frets over (when it is un-bent, of course). Now, the problem is that I can not bend the string far enough so that it sounds like the note 3 frets over on the string (when it is un-bent). It's just seems too far. I have been only playing electric guitar for about 2 weeks (had been playing acoustic guitar off and on for over a year prior to this) and have never tried bends before getting my electric.

Please let me know if I should keep at it or if multi-step bends are not commonplace (or not done at all, meaning my tab would be incorrect).

Regards,

Omar

• Members

It's certainly possible, and lots of guitarists do 1 1/2 step bends (I'm just not one of them :p ). So, your transcription is probably correct.

One suggestion, though: since you're new to bending, I wouldn't worry about anything beyond whole step bends. It will take time to build up the strength needed...plus, the further you try to bend, the less accurate your intonation will be. So, focus on those half and whole step bends, and leave the bigger bends for later.

• Members

sorry to be a bit off topic, but how is it that you check if your bends are in tune? I've started to play some solos now and i got the speed and everything is just that i cant bend well. i kept wondering wh this soloes sounded terrible and then i noticed that my bends sound like dying zebra or giraffes or soemthing and dont sound in tune at all, so how can I see if it is in tune, what would it be on the string below it for 1/2 step and 1 step? thanks

• Members

nvm that question answered it self, if i bending 1 step thats two frets so bending

---------
----9^1 step---
---------
---------
---------
---------

would be the same as

---6----
---------
---------
---------
---------
---------
right?

Originally posted by aarockla

sorry to be a bit off topic, but how is it that you check if your bends are in tune? I've started to play some solos now and i got the speed and everything is just that i cant bend well. i kept wondering wh this soloes sounded terrible and then i noticed that my bends sound like dying zebra or giraffes or soemthing and dont sound in tune at all, so how can I see if it is in tune, what would it be on the string below it for 1/2 step and 1 step? thanks

It's an ear thing.

Try playing the note you're going to bend, and then playing the fretted note you're going to bend it to before doing the bend.

For example, if you are doing a whole step bend on the note D, play a fretted D, and then play the note E two frets up. Then bend the fretted D up until it sounds like that E you just heard.

• Members

Originally posted by aarockla

nvm that question answered it self, if i bending 1 step thats two frets so bending

---------

----9^1 step---

---------

---------

---------

---------

would be the same as

---6----

---------

---------

---------

---------

---------

right?

Based on the notation you have provided, I meant that the note at the top of the bend would sound exactly the same as (i.e. same string 2 frets over-- one whole step) :

---------

----11--

---------

---------

---------

---------

I believe the note you indicated (Bb on first string) would be an octave apart from the Bb from the bent note (or Bb on the second string). It would be easier to tell if the note is the same if they are the same octave, which is why I suggested to use the note at the 11th fret, 2nd string.

I assume you are bending up toward your head (i.e. 2nd string towards 3rd string). I know what you mean by your bends sound like animals. When I started bending 2 weeks ago, it used to sound like elephants (on the distortion channel of my amp). However, I have been practicing quite a bit and they sound ok to me now. Just keep at it.

• Members
Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

It's certainly possible, and lots of guitarists do 1 1/2 step bends (I'm just not one of them
:p
). So, your transcription is probably correct.

One suggestion, though: since you're new to bending, I wouldn't worry about anything beyond whole step bends. It will take time to build up the strength needed...plus, the further you try to bend, the less accurate your intonation will be. So, focus on those half and whole step bends, and leave the bigger bends for later.

It just seems like the string will snap if I bend it with the required force to make it sound like the note it supposed to ;) On my electric, I'm comfortable bending 1/2 and 1 steps. I'm working on getting the whole step bends to be a little smoother. I will bet that when I can perform whole steps bends on my acoustic, I will be able to do 1 1/2 step bends on my electric (since it's so much easier).

By the way, I don't understand what you mean by
"plus, the further you try to bend, the less accurate your intonation will be."
Can you explain this further ? I guess I have no idea what "intonation" is :o Well, I may know what the concept is, but I don't know the correct word for it.

Originally posted by om14

Based on the notation you have provided, I meant that the note at the top of the bend would sound exactly the same as (i.e. same string 2 frets over-- one whole step) :

---------

----11--

---------

---------

---------

---------

I believe the note you indicated (Bb on first string) would be an octave apart from the Bb from the bent note (or Bb on the second string). It would be easier to tell if the note is the same if they are the same octave, which is why I suggested to use the note at the 11th fret, 2nd string.

No, the note he gave is in the same octave.

-6-------

----11--

---------

---------

---------

---------

Those two are the exact same pitch.

• Members
Originally posted by Poparad

No, the note he gave is in the same octave.

-6-------

----11--

---------

---------

---------

---------

Those two are the exact same pitch.

Oops! :o You absolutely correct. The high E string is tuned a perfect fourth away from the B string, meaning that the note at the fifth fret of the B string is the same as the open high E string. Add 6 frets to both strings and we get 6th fret, high E string = 11th fret, B string. In order for my statement to be correct, the high E string would have to be tuned an octave + a perfect fourth-- the string would snap well before I would be able to get to that point ;)

• Members

What string gauge are you using? Obviously, 1 1/2 step bends are going to be easier on .009's than .011's. Also, bends above the 7th fret are going to be a lot easier than bends near the nut. Try backing up your bending finger with one or two other fingers on the same string. This makes the bend easier and you have more control of the pitch.

• Members

sometimes I bend with like 4 fingers. Pinky on the note and all my other fingeres behind it. Unless I need the index to mute string which I do sometimes.

I'm working thru the whole lotta love solo and there's 2 1/2 step bends in that puppy. Hard to get it to intonate properly especially since it's so fast.

If you really want to learn to intonate proper bends learn some pink floyd solos. I'm working through another brick inthe wall II and I realized how terrible my bends actually are. but they're getting better every day :D

Archived