jumps from string to string?

TimmyII

• Members

i have this solo etyde i'm working on...and there's this part where you make a fast run from string to string.

i notice my right hand can't keep up, but my left one does. i don't quite know how to tackle this dilemma. any suggestions?

• Members

maybe you should post the section in question, so we can have a look at it.

The usual tips: Play slow and raise the tempo slowly until you can play it fast.

I don't know if this is works for your problem, but you might want to try chicken picking. Play the low strings with the pick, and the high string with the fingers.

If you do downstrokes with the pick and upstrokes with the ring or middlefinger you can get quite fast. It's a fast way to alternate between different strings.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee33

Hybrid picking is about the only way to do fast string jumping. It's just not possible to move your whole arm across the strings and back again. It takes some practice though.

Lee

sorry, i wasn't talking about leaving strings BETWEEN...it's a back and forth motion with nearby strings.

the part where i always {censored} up goes:

E ----------------------------

B ----------------------------

G 6-5-5---------------------

D ----7-7-5-7-5-4-5-4-4-

A ------------------------7-5

E ----------------------------

you see what i mean? sorry, i never write tabs, so i don't know if this is written correctly...

i just always seem to raise my 3rd finger too much when going from G string to D string, but i'm not sure how can i keep it from doing that.

• Members

actually, i think i could play it much easier if everyone wouldn't just tell me to practice more. i practice plenty all right...it's just that my practicing sucks. i'm waayyy too tense. just yesterday i practiced 5 hours, but i felt like it didn't get me anywhere and i hadn't touched my guitar all day, but just 5 minutes ago i tried playing a bunch of {censored} i've been tackling on and i noticed how much better i played. i just was much more relaxed...

people here should recognize the importance of relaxation instead of just keep pushing people to work harder...doesn't work for me anyway. i OVER do it and get tense and just {censored} everything up...

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

i know...that's exactly what i was referring to.

do you remember what was the essay where he wrote about how you work on some short bit. it was something like:

1. you don't use tempo at all

2. then you start with an extremely slow tempo and work it up

but then i can't remember what exactly he wrote about how you start working on the part where you {censored} up...

• Members

Hybrid picking is about the only way to do fast string jumping. It's just not possible to move your whole arm across the strings and back again. It takes some practice though.

Lee

Nah, there are people who strictly alternate pick and blaze away in such situations.

• Members

Originally posted by Flanger

Nah, there are people who strictly alternate pick and blaze away in such situations.

Sorry but I don't agree. Moving the whole hand is a slow process, whereas the fingers are there hovering over the strings.

I mean real string jumping backwards and forwards - not just a quick leap to a new position.

Lee

• Members

Sorry but I don't agree. Moving the whole hand is a slow process, whereas the fingers are there hovering over the strings.

I mean real string jumping backwards and forwards - not just a quick leap to a new position.

Lee

WHatever, man. There are {censored}loads of examples of strict alternate pickers with mindblowing speed.

Archived