fingering for 3rd finger?

TimmyII

• Members

it probably sounds weird, but i've never used the 3rd finger fingering on any scale and i've played for a pretty long time...

so, can anyone please show me how fingerings on minor and major scales go? i tried it myself, but it seemed a bit wacko and unuseful...

That's pretty odd, as the third finger is one of my most used fingers...

Here's a C major scale, 8th position:

Every note on the 7th fret is fingered with your first finger. On the 8th fret, your 2nd finger. On the 9th fret, your 3rd. On the 10th fret, your 4th.

It's pretty hard to avoid using your third finger when all the other positions are quite similar in layout, and even with pentatonic scales, I use my third finger the most, second only to my 1st finger.

• Members

ummm...what?

i meant:

i don't know what the fingering is for a scale STARTING with your 3rd finger. of course i use my 3rd finger, but i don't know how the fingering goes for starting i.e. c major with your 3rd finger, so that your 3rd finger is on C.

• Members

C on the Low E string, or C on the A string? This all seems pretty strange. Except for Phrygian or Locrian (or some exotic variant) seems pretty odd to want to start fingering with the 3rd finger, at least from the Low E string (i.e. the 6th positioin).

What position are you talking about? C Major from the 1st position?

-Tom

• Members

Originally posted by tlester

C on the Low E string, or C on the A string? This all seems pretty strange. Except for Phrygian or Locrian (or some exotic variant) seems pretty odd to want to start fingering with the 3rd finger, at least from the Low E string (i.e. the 6th positioin).

What position are you talking about? C Major from the 1st position?

-Tom

i don't care about the position, just the fingering. i'm supposed to learn 5 diffrent fingerings for a guitar exam. the 5th one is played using open strings...

Originally posted by TimmyII

ummm...what?

i meant:

i don't know what the fingering is for a scale STARTING with your 3rd finger. of course i use my 3rd finger, but i don't know how the fingering goes for starting i.e. c major with your 3rd finger, so that your 3rd finger is on C.

Ooohh....

Well, then there's just two really. (Major scales only that is). The "C" shape and the "G" shape which are based around those open chords:

You can then take those and move them around the fretboard, and you would still be starting with your third finger on the first note of the scale.

Archived