!HELP! soloing

Originally posted by Fade2Black16

create my own solos.

All of those bands you mentioned use almost exclusively the pentatonic scale, so learning that is a must.

For me, the most effective way to lean soloing is to learn the solos of bands that you listen to. When you learn them, try to figure out some of the licks or ideas that you like and take them and put them in your own solos. All those bands that you listen to got those same ideas from somewhere else, so you will be far from the first person to borrow ideas from another musician.

• Members

It's important that you know at least a little bit of theory, like how to play the pentatonic minor scale in every key. That way, when you learn someone else's solo, you can see how that solo uses that scale. For instance, in this part of the solo he's in box 1 of pentatonic minor, key of A, then in this part he goes to box 4, etc. That way, well...it just all makes sense. It's like having a map and plotting out your travel plans, as opposed to just knowing that you take the third left and then a right at the stoplights. It makes it infinitely easier to use the stuff in your own solos.

Check out the scale generator over here: http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/ It will show you where the notes of pentatonic minor (and a lot of other scales) are located all over the fretboard, in all keys. For a rock / heavy metal book to learn licks and build your overall technique, Troy Stetina's stuff is pretty good. His website is here: http://www.stetina.com/ Check out his Metal Lead 1 book and maybe Speed Mechanics.

• Members

Definatley agree, learn your pentatonic minor scale in every key and all positions. Then learn ALL pentationic scales and patterns. Also, this will help you learn your diatonic as the pentatonics are really the skeletons for the diatonic scales. Its the most common rock and blues scale.

Not so sure about learning other's solos. Yes it can help, but when I started my teacher always taught me the scales, and encouraged me to come up with my own stuff and just start playing the scales and improving over any song I like. Personally this helped me alot in developing my own chops and riffs and writing my own solos over others tunes instead of playing their. I naturally learned and figured out what others were doing from there. To each his own though...

• Members
Originally posted by Jeff5

but when I started my teacher always taught me the scales, and encouraged me to come up with my own stuff and just start playing the scales and improving over any song I like.

Whilest this is also powerfull stuff, the idea of learning what others have done before us is a faster approach.

Also posted by Jeff5

To each his own though...

And on this I think we can all agree.:)

Archived