keeping facility on multiple guitars

riovine

• Members

Does anyone have any tips on keeping up a decent facility on multiple guitars. As we all know, no two guitars feel and play alike. I know when I spend a lot of time on one guitar (say a jazz box), and really refine my technique & feel, then have to switch to another guitar (say a steel string flat top), all the refinement donw on the jazz box has to be re-done for the new guitar, because of diffeent string spacing, tension, boty feel etc. Often this can take another couple of practice sessions on the new axe, and then I have the same problem going back.

So, I was wondering if anyone thought it would be better to use a different guitar for each practice session, just so as to not lock in to closely to a particular guitar, or to get a real high facility with one guitar and live with a small rolloff in ability on the other guitars. I do end up using different guitars in gig situations, depending on the type of gig I'm playing.

Of course, I don't have the time to spend 2 hours a day on each guitar, that is why I basically abandoned trying to play both classical & jazz, not enough time to devote to stay proficient in both.

Thanks..

• Members
Originally posted by Chubby Checker

I always play all my stuff on all gear, you get used to differences

I try to play a different guitar everytime I sit down to play. From accustic to electric, different scale lengths, tuning etc. I started doing this because my regular band plays a full step down, the blues jam standard and the open jam is accoustic. I noticed that I started to squeeze too tight when I played with my band and chords would go out of tune. Once I realized why, it was just a matter of practice before the problem was solved, and yes you will get used to it with time.:D

I've honestly never had an issue switching between different scales of guitars, gauges of strings, acoustic and electric, and even guitar and bass for that matter.

So long as you know what to expect out of the instrument, there is usually not much of an issue.

• Members

From a creative point of view, I find playing on a variety of guitars a great boost of creativity and inspiration. Just today I was fooling around with my classical flamenco guitar. I decided to see what would happen if I played a song I was working on with the flamenco. I actually strummed it with my fingernails like a steal string. Well anyway the song completely revealed itself to me, and I was able to come up with better chord structure and everything, all because of some quality the flamenco had that couldn't be reproduced with another guitar.

...anyway I know it's a little off topic, but I just wanted to point that out.

Archived