help II

danmarino

• Members

The above from Boogieman is absolutely correct, but I like to think about harmonics in a (slightly) different way.

Take the easiest one first - the 12th fret. As mentioned, if you touch the string lightly right over the 12th fret, a harmonic will sound. Now, you'll notice that the 12th fret is just about at the exact midpoint of the string - instead of the 12th fret, let's think of this harmonic as 1/2 the length of the vibrating string.

Having done that, let's look at the other two harmonics mentioned - 5th fret and 7th fret. Check it out.... the 7th fret is about 1/3 of the way along the string, and the 5th fret is about 1/4 of the way along the string. You can keep following the same logic and find harmonics at 1/5, 1/6, 1/7 of the string length and so on, although they do get harder to articulate as you get into the smaller fractions.

Now for the fun part - in addition to the natural harmonics we just found, there are a potentially infinite number of "artificial" harmonics that can be found on the neck as well. Let's say you are playing a note on the 5th fret of a given string - notice that the vibrating portion of the string is now limited to the area from the 5th fret to the bridge. If you put a finger halfway along this vibrating portion (figure about the 19th fret), you will find yet another harmonic (again, follow the same logic and find the harmonics at 1/3 the length of the vibrating part of the string, 1/4, etc etc).

That should do it for now - I don't know if I explained this well, but thanks for reading anyway.... ;-)

• Members

Originally posted by acousticbilly

The above from Boogieman is absolutely correct, but I like to think about harmonics in a (slightly) different way.

Take the easiest one first - the 12th fret. As mentioned, if you touch the string lightly right over the 12th fret, a harmonic will sound. Now, you'll notice that the 12th fret is just about at the exact midpoint of the string - instead of the 12th fret, let's think of this harmonic as 1/2 the length of the vibrating string.

Having done that, let's look at the other two harmonics mentioned - 5th fret and 7th fret. Check it out.... the 7th fret is about 1/3 of the way along the string, and the 5th fret is about 1/4 of the way along the string. You can keep following the same logic and find harmonics at 1/5, 1/6, 1/7 of the string length and so on, although they do get harder to articulate as you get into the smaller fractions.

Now for the fun part - in addition to the natural harmonics we just found, there are a potentially infinite number of "artificial" harmonics that can be found on the neck as well. Let's say you are playing a note on the 5th fret of a given string - notice that the vibrating portion of the string is now limited to the area from the 5th fret to the bridge. If you put a finger halfway along this vibrating portion (figure about the 19th fret), you will find yet another harmonic (again, follow the same logic and find the harmonics at 1/3 the length of the vibrating part of the string, 1/4, etc etc).

That should do it for now - I don't know if I explained this well, but thanks for reading anyway.... ;-)

That's cool. I didn't know you could make artificial harmonics. I'm gonna try that as soon as I get home from work........

Archived