Playing the Blues ?

• Members

I have been messing around with playing the blues lately and I recently ran into this clip by a guy in the amp forum.

http://home.comcast.net/~n0fx/stratblues.mp3

I really like his phrashing, but one thing that really stood out to me was what he was doing at around 20 sec and 30 sec into the song. When he was bending the note up it sounded really full and it sounded like he was hitting a second note also. Ive heard this a lot in blues, but I have never figured out what they were doing. If someone could please help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks :)

• Members

Sounds like double stops and double stop bends. Double stop is a fancy term for two notes played simultaneously (add a third note and you will have a triad - otherwise known as a chord.) He is playing two notes and bending one of them into the following single note. The really big question is whether he is accomplishing this via a pick or if he is finger picking. Finger picking allows for double stops using non-adjacent strings. This is still possible with a pick but will require careful muting of the interposing strings. My ear is not great so without sitting down with a guitar and hashing out the intervals I really can't be sure.

Double stop bends are when two notes are played simultaneously and both notes are bent.

• Members

Thomas,
Thanks for the reply. You were right with the Double Stops! I e-mailed him and this is what he had to say about it:

In this case at the 9th fret with your
first finger laying on the G,B and E string. You pluck in that order.
all those strings almost simultaneously, then pluck and bend the G
string up (pull up using third finger) at the 11th fret and when you (pull off) your first finger is on the G string back at the 9th fret.

I am trying to figure out all of these little things because I think it adds so much. Thanks again for your help !

• Members

I cant listen at work, but is it something like this?

E----3--------------
B----3--------------
G----5b7----------

You bend the G up until it is in unison with the (D) note on the B string. Very common blues lick. This example is from SRV's ver of Texas Flood.

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

I cant listen at work, but is it something like this?

It is something like this, There's a second note beating to the bend to either unison or a fifth for sure, but it's difficult to tell if it's an open string or a fretted one.

• Members

Originally posted by The Nick

who is this guy?

Blackstatblues is hanging out at the amp forum every once in a while, and he likes to participate in the "jams" that are held in the amp forrum (hint to everyone: watch out / search for jams in the amp forums, usually you can get *great* backing-tracks for practice there).

His takes on the jams are usually outstanding.

Archived