Anyone into fingersyle here?

• Members

Originally posted by Renato

I'dd like to get deeper into finger style, but I was looking more for great songs to learn, not as much as for tips for arranging. I want to have something specific to play, pieces, if you can call them that although I'm not really into classic. More of modern fincgerstyle, but can be anything if interesting.

What should I look for? name artists, sites, books, of intermediate level with great songs to learn.

Depends on your interests in music. I personally would recommend country style fingerpicking as it starts with simple songs. Some of the earlier Chet Atkins and Merle Travis are styles to imitate. There are websites under those names that actually have videos and tabs, even on the intermediate level.

I noticed we have one post above yours that's offering videos also.

Songs to choose would be "Freight Train" and "Wildwood Flower". "Rocky Top", which I have a clip of above, is a little more complex, but not much if you keep it on the first 3 frets, which I don't.

The big thing, whatever your taste in music is start with 3 or 4 chord songs and work with them first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

> but I was looking more for great songs to learn, not as much as for tips for arranging.

Tabs here:
http://acousticpower.com/atkins.html

Listen to the tunes here:
http://freddie.spb.ru/music/instrumental/chet_atkins/

Keep in mind the tabs might not be completely accurate to a specific recording.

As for tips for the beginner (and I consider myself a beginner), learn a basic alternating bass picking pattern. For example, in the key of C, use the ring finger to alternate between the C on the 5th string and the G on the 6th. Sorry this is going to be too quick to write out tab, but play C E G E (the E on the 4th string) for the C chord.

For the F chord, it's useful to be able to hang your thumb on the 6th string to fret the F, and use your ring finger for the F on the 4th string. Just alternate between the two F's.

For the G (or G7) chord, play G D B D (that's 6th string, 4th string, 5th, 4th).

Find a simple song (like a nursery rhyme) in C (or transpose) and play the alternating bass while hearing the song in your "mind's ear." Once you feel pretty good about playing the alternating bass with your thumb (I mute the bass strings with the heel of my hand), start adding the melody on top of it.

There's no substitute for practice.

• Members

This will be a great thread to continue or start detailed threads about particular songs and tips.

I have spent a lot of time with fingerstyle jazz. It has helped me learn to make chord melodies better.

I have a lot to share and a lot to learn.

Thanks Jerry

Archived