Inverting the left hand?

• Members

In one of Auggie's speed files, he/you (well this topic is aimed for you) mention inverting the left hand to get the index finger out of its built up comfort zone, treating it more like the other fingers.

Well.

Everyone complains about the pinky..

What about some exersices that work (inverted) on treating the pinky like an index? Give it some muscle.

I tried some simple 7-8 (change string) 7-8 repeat etc using 4th and 3rd, damn I am feeling it.

Good idea perhaps?

• Members

I tried this exercise, but it's not made for me. Gave it a couple of hours, but I always had the feeling that I waste my time on them. :)

Instead I started to work on arpeggios that have root on the lower two strings and the first/last note is fretted with the pinky.

It's a different feel to play them. A lot more difficult. But I've opened yet another way to look at arpeggios and the fretboard. Maybe these kinds of exercises are nice for you as well.

Here for example is an Am7 arpeggio that I still practice daily:

Nils

• Members
Originally posted by -=johhnybravo=-

In one of Auggie's speed files, he/you (well this topic is aimed for you) mention inverting the left hand to get the index finger out of its built up comfort zone, treating it more like the other fingers.

Well.

Everyone complains about the pinky..

What about some exersices that work (inverted) on treating the pinky like an index? Give it some muscle.

I tried some simple 7-8 (change string) 7-8 repeat etc using 4th and 3rd, damn I am feeling it.

Good idea perhaps?

I gave an entire speed thread to the pinky!!!!!! :mad:

:D

Actually, the exercise you described is similar to one from that thread, only with an inverted hand. Really, the only advantage to flipping your hand over is to see how much differently we've trained our index fingers than we have the others, and to remind (or first draw attention to) us that the oft-neglected first finger needs some extra work. But hey, if flipping your hand over helps for others things, by all means, go right ahead! :D

Archived