Questions about MIDI backing tracks

• Members

I was messing about the G-DEX Fender amp yesterday. Cool and fun amp, but there's no way the tones are as good as what I already have with my tube amps.

BUT... it made me realize I've really been missing something as a home player. I've jammed along with 'Blues in Pocket' tracks off a CD. But -- just now -- I did a some Google searching to discover there are loads of free backing tracks to lots of popular classic rock stuff I've learned.

So what's the easiest way to work with these MIDI files? They aren't MP3s... is there an easy way to convert them to MP3s or put them on a CD?

Any tips -- plus advice on the best way to find backing track off the internet for guitar --- would be GREAT!!!

Thanks! :D

-- Joe

• Members

There are several programs which will convert MIDI files to .wav and .mp3 format (Band in a Box...MIDI-To-Wav...etc). The resulting quality depends almost entirely on the quality of your soundfont/onboard synth. Basically, what you hear in the MIDI file is what you'll hear in the .wav or .mp3.

As for backing tracks, I have no idea where to find them.:o But, at least you know that if you do find them, they CAN be converted and put on a cd. :)

• Members

you can get guitar pro 4 (www.guitarpro.com). It's the program for reading tabs/notes (you can change between them). You can download music for it from www.mysongbook.com. You open the file in program and you can then see notes for drums/guitar/bass/...... in it for the particular song. It also plays the music for you in MIDI style of sound. You can then check out instruments you dont want to hear and you have a great backing track. It is also very great for writing your own music in it. Every file can be exported to midi file or wav and the burnt to cd.

• Members

Since I started this thread, I've poked around a bit with a MIDI player and with a drum machine (leaf drums).

I get the feeling this is a bit more work than I care to dive into right now. My gut feeling also tells me I'd be better off with something that doesn't tie me to a computer.

I'll probably check out a Boss DR-3 sometime. Using that with my stereo / boom box / cheap PA might be the ticket.

I'm open to some more ideas...! Again, all this drum machine / MIDI stuff is new to me.

Later,
-- Joe

Archived