For those teachers with young students...

• Members

I have a 6 year old student that has been taking lessons from me for about 4 months. I am trying to find a good balance between keeping the lessons fun and entertaining while still teaching him some guitar basics. He has a very short attention span (actually he has ADD), so I'm not really too concerned with his progress as much as hoping he has fun with the lessons.

I'm curious how other teacher's are handling these types of students?

UnderTheGroove

• Members

Forget pretty much any theory at all. If you're gonna include theory, make it fun by giving him, say, a colouring chart for the notes on the guitar (print out a neck chart with large, easy-to-colour notes). Cater to his short attention span by giving him lots of short, cool things to play, including percussive stuff; he doesn't have to remember it all. Encourage him to find his own sounds. Get his parents involved a little, just so they can encourage him during the time you're not around.

Find some music he likes and teach him something from that if you can. It could even be as simple as just a couple of notes, like a I-V bassline over two chords, or something.

• Members

Thanks for your input TBG. You have some good ideas. I'm not so concerned with the content of the lessons. I'm still working on one note chords with him...this is a student that I am sure is not touching the guitar between lessons.

I'm more interested on how others are keeping students with short attention spans interested and focused during the lesson.

• Members

I've found that with real young kids that the best progress is made by learning simple melodies in tab. Learning songs like London Bridge, Mary Had A Little Lamb and other simple melodies that they can recognize will give them a better sense of self esteem. They will feel it more rewarding to be able to do something that is familiar to them and they can relate to. This helps them to grow more enthusiastic about playing. Small children require immediate gratification to motivate them. Sometimes, it may be necessary to forego the actual note names in the beginning. E might be the first key that they will find themselves playing in if you choose to have them play the melodies on the first string alone. Ultimately, you do whatever it takes to get that first little tune out of them. They are generally quick to get in the 'look what I can do' frame of mind, once they realize their initial achievement.
:)

Archived