Hardcore theory...

LDF

• Members

Can anyone recommend a good book for the theory behind creating chord progressions? I'm not just talking about guitar strumming chord progression, but a book that shows "on staff" all the notes of each chord and how they progress. Something that goes into bass line movements, voicings and all that. I'm not even really looking for a guitar book. It could be for piano, but I would prefer something more neutral. I guess it would be called a "composition book" or something like that.

I already have books on guitar chords and how they relate to oneanother, but these books don't go into enough detail on the rules and practices of a good composer.

• Members

"Harmony" by Walter Piston. This is an absolute standard. Easy to read and understand...lots of musical examples...and written by an actual composer.

"Harmony & Voice Leading" by Aldwell & Schachter. This one is noteworthy because of the integration of Schenkerian analysis into the material.

"Theory of Harmony" by Arnold Schoenberg. My personal favorite, although it's completely unlike any normal harmony text you might encounter. The most obvious aspect of the book that jumps out is the number of lengthy, quasi-philosophical digressions that he uses to describe his train of thought and reasoning. The other somewhat unusual thing is that it has no actual musical references or examples; instead, its exercises (which are rather exhaustive and comprehensive) are to be mastered first, with the skills being left up to you to apply to your musical endeavors. For this reason, it's not really a stand-alone text, but it's the finest companion book I've ever read.

All of them should be easy to find, and I highly recommend any (or all) of them. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by LDF

Can anyone recommend a good book for the theory behind creating chord progressions? I'm not just talking about guitar strumming chord progression, but a book that shows "on staff" all the notes of each chord and how they progress. Something that goes into bass line movements, voicings and all that. I'm not even really looking for a guitar book. It could be for piano, but I would prefer something more neutral. I guess it would be called a "composition book" or something like that.

I already have books on guitar chords and how they relate to oneanother, but these books don't go into enough detail on the rules and practices of a good composer.

The Piston book I have heard of before but not the others. Is the Schoenberg book all about 12 tone and serial harmony or is there some traditional stuff in there as well? These look like checking out.

Originally posted by tuvokzeta9

The Piston book I have heard of before but not the others. Is the Schoenberg book all about 12 tone and serial harmony or is there some traditional stuff in there as well? These look like checking out.

The Schoenberg is actually all about traditional harmony. Even though his style of music was based on serialism, he still had a solid understanding of traditional theory and that's what that book covers. I don't believe there was any 12 tone concepts in that book; I think that subject was reserved for his seperate books on that.

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

:eek:
:eek: Wow...you could find those in a
music
store?

I've had to do almost all of my music book shopping at Amazon.com and Ebay--the music stores here don't carry that sort of thing.
:(

I've seen Piston and Schoenberg at Borders.

• Members

Originally posted by Joe Merlino

I've seen Piston and Schoenberg at Borders.

I didn't know they shopped there! :eek:

:D

I used to look through every Border's and Barnes & Noble in the area, and I never found anything of the sort. I did manage to find a copy of Schoenberg's Structural Functions of Harmony at a used bookstore for about $2, though.

Then I started Ebaying, and I amassed about $500 worth of books for about $60. :cool: Lots of them have been out of print for decades, so it wasn't likely that I'd find them anywhere else.

• Members

I didn't know they shopped there!

I used to look through every Border's and Barnes & Noble in the area, and I never found anything of the sort. I did manage to find a copy of Schoenberg's
Structural Functions of Harmony
at a used bookstore for about $2, though.

Then I started Ebaying, and I amassed about $500 worth of books for about $60.
:cool:
Lots of them have been out of print for decades, so it wasn't likely that I'd find them anywhere else.

I checked Borders and books a million today and didn't find either of them or any of their books LOL. But ebay has some great deals. I think I saw a Schoenberg book for only 4 bucks. Can't beat that. Of course shipping is $8.

• Members

Shoenberg's Theory of Harmony is my favorite headache inducer. Any time I feel like I really need a throbbing, I can get my fix inside of two-four pages. To me, it reads like a philosophy text. Granted, I haven't cracked the cover in several years. Maybe it has dumbed itself down for me a little. I wouldn't put it past a book that complex. (or maybe I'm just simple) :D

I love the going to a teacher route. Music Theory I and II usually have students spending a lot of time voice leading 4 part chorales. You also get the ear training, sight singing, harmonic analysis, etc. Your local colleges may be another avenue to pursue.

• Members

Originally posted by Shamuspizzbutt

Shoenberg's Theory of Harmony is my favorite headache inducer. Any time I feel like I really need a throbbing, I can get my fix inside of two-four pages. To me, it reads like a philosophy text. Granted, I haven't cracked the cover in several years. Maybe it has dumbed itself down for me a little. I wouldn't put it past a book that complex. (or maybe I'm just simple)

As I said, that book is somewhat of an anomaly in the world of harmony texts; it's (mostly) traditional theory delivered in an unorthodox manner. His digressions (well, can they really be called digressions when they represent the bulk of the text? :p) do help to support the theory from a perspective that's not limited to music itself. It's not for everyone, of course, but it's one of very few theory books that you can literally 'read'.

As for headache-inducing material, his Structural Functions of Harmony packs an incredible Excedrin whallop in a tiny book. :D The density of the material is unreal; I've never seen anything quite so condensed. It's the polar opposite of Theory of Harmony in that respect, but the two work together incredibly well.

• Members

Originally posted by Shamuspizzbutt

Structural Functions of Harmony

Are you trying to ruin my summer vacation?!? I've got a week in a shore house with my family, and you throw this at me??

Oops. :o

May I then recommend a copy of Reader's Digest, or perhaps TV Guide?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

"Harmony & Voice Leading" by Aldwell & Schachter.
This one is noteworthy because of the integration of Schenkerian analysis into the material.

I learnt from this one. The last third of the book also deals extensively with chromaticism and dissonance, which is very pleasing. Many harmony books tend to gloss over this facet of harmony in a rather unsatisfactory fashion.

Ideally, any study of harmony should complemented with a study of counterpoint. In actual composition, the two musical aspects are used in tandem.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Ideally, any study of harmony should complemented with a study of counterpoint. In actual composition, the two musical aspects are used in tandem.

Ideally, yes, and all the good harmony books I've read all address the contrapuntal aspects to some degree (esp. with regard to voice leading).

The counterpoint books have a tougher task; they usually have to first teach counterpoint in pure form, and then later integrate that into a harmonic approach.

Either way, an in-depth study of one inevitably leads to at least a partial study of the other. While they are first (and most efficiently) learned independently, ultimately they work (and thus should be understood) as interdependent concepts.

• Members

yea!! the regions rule, so basic really when you think about it,

i dont know why universitys dont just teach SFoH and the george russell book. those two books are the only ones that make any sence of altered harmony

Archived