Days of Wine and Roses chord melody arrangement

• Members

I decided to start doing chord melody arrangement's and this is really the first one I've done. My personal favorite of solo guitar is the slow ballad rubato style so that's what this reflects. When the chords are ringing you could add your own noodling or let them ring right until the next chord (my preference).

I managed to fit in some of my favorite chord types, the minor 11th and dominant 13th. I hope you like it.

Days of Wine and Roses

Nice job. There are a lot of very nice, logical voicings in there, and overall it's a very good arrangement. A couple of typos in there (like the D natural on the Bbm7 chords, or one of the Gm7 chords with an A in the bass instead of a G), but pretty cool. I think I might steal a bit of that for myself (I like the Dm7 to Bm7b5 part at the end).

One suggestion: In measure 13, having that F against the G disrupts the melody a bit because the very next note on beat two is another F, so it sounds more like a sustained note rather than the next note of the melody. Try this Dm11 voicing that would solve that problem: x53553 or x53533

Yeah, that's odd that it has the D natural there. All the charts and recordings I've heard of the tune have two Db's in a row over a simple Bbm7 chord.

Since the chart you have might be odd, I'll point out the other thing I noticed: The second chord of the tune is usually Eb7, although Cm6 works as a substitute for it. In fact, the way you have it written, it still sounds like an Eb7 in that bar to me.

Archived