Im tired of minor pentatonic, I need a new scale for metal use

• Members

Hi. Well, like the topic says the only thing I ever improve with is minor pentatonic, I love how Zakk Wylde uses it but I just can't do it like him. I should say I'm a terrible lead guitar player I'm trying to improve on that. When I use the minor petatonic it always comes out bluesy which isnt what im shooting for. Can someone reccomend me some kind of scale I can work with when soloing, somethat that sounds more dark and not so happy?

• Members

Aeolian mode is pretty good for metal too. Some of those symmetrical scales can work in moderation, such as the whole tone or diminished scales. But if you want to get more metal out of your pentatonics you might check out some Zakk Wylde tabs, steal a few riffs. :D

• Members

If you're a "terrible lead guitar player" as you put it, you probably just need to work at it more. Personally, I don't think it matters so much what scale you use, it's how you use it. Pentatonic minor and the blues scale are great for rock and metal. Check out Troy Stetina's book Metal Lead Guitar Volume I, the first two solos in there are nothing but pentatonic minor, and they're very rockin'.

Having said that, if you want to work on other scales and modes, there's phrygian, aeolian and dorian. Phrygian dominant is good as well, it's just like phrygian except with a major third. Then of course there's the harmonic minor scale.

Archived