School of Rock!

Flanger

• Members

Here are a couple very accessible songs I learned that really improved my technique:

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Iron Maiden - The Trooper

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

Another, quite tricky song that will improve your technique A LOT once you can play easy old school metal songs is "Metropolis Pt 1" by Dream Theater. I'm learning that one now and it's grrrrreeeeeaaatt :)

• Members

Paganini's 5th Caprice...

you can find it on Powertab or in the "supre guitarists" issue of Guitar World i think. Yngwie says its the piece that really helped him in the beginning...and even if you dont like him, you gotta respect that!

im working on it now...havent gotten far in it, but its tough and it has already helped me focus on what i need to improve. considering it was a violin piece, there are some really wide stretches and unusual things you wouldnt normally do on guitar...definetly check it out!

also, Megadeth...anything on Rust In Piece is a good thing to learn because it was really technical.

earlier metallica for the rhythm aspects...Kirks solos are fast at times but not really that hard to master IMO.

Dream Theater stuff is quite shreddy...

those are some suggestions.

• Members

Dudes: He asked for a list of songs mapping a progression from easy stuff to hard stuff.

Check out "Total Rock Guitar" by Troy Stetina. Very cool book. It basically does what you're asking for but all tunes are a original and it covers a large number of rock styles. It's very fast paced. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Elric

Dudes: He asked for a list of songs mapping a progression from easy stuff to hard stuff.

Check out "Total Rock Guitar" by Troy Stetina. Very cool book. It basically does what you're asking for but all tunes are a original and it covers a large number of rock styles. It's very fast paced.
:)

We have a winna'! I just posted out of curiousity to see what people would come up with. I wasn't looking for "Play this Dream Theater song and you can play anything," I was looking for {censored} like "Ok, start with Highway to Hell, then go to Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love, then ...."

• Members

but its not that simple...

for example, my first foray into the real shred stuff was Ozzy (Randy Rhoads...) Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley...yea, try just banging into those solos without any prior knowledge of soloing and the techniques assoiciated with it. i practiced those two songs incessantly for a long time till i got them right...still play Crazy Train to this day, but have forgotten the solos in Crowley mostly...just dont play it.

yes they improved my technique, and if it werent for my huge interest in punk for a while, id be 10Xs better than i am right now. but i got into Social Distortion for a while and then got back into metal and shred-type soloing and am now really working hard to improve (which is harder to do at 25 than it was at 15-16!)

so i dont really know what 10 songs would turn you into a shredder, considering being able to play fast comes with lots of practice and focus on technique. so i would say Randy Rhoads would be a good start...he had lots of good stuff that will improve anyone.

after that, its anybodies guess.

Archived