Question about scales...

• Members

I'm studying a mix of everything now as a beginner and I'm just starting to learn the first few bits of theory. I learned about half steps and whole steps, how to compose each scale.

I just got done composing the C major scale and I have a question about how I should learn how to play it. After writing it down and coming up with it myself I used this site as a easier representation of the scale itself: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=+0&scch=C&scchnam=Major&get2=Get

Now, I noticed that on that site there is 13 differen patterns I can play the C major scale in. I was wondering if I should start from pattern 1 and work my way all the way to 13 memorizing all the different patterns? I was just wondering so that I can come up with as easy of a way as possible to memorize the scale so I can play it in different positions.

Any help at all is much appreciated.

There are many possible fingerings for scales, which at first may seem daunting, but in the long run it's a great benifit because you can have multiple options to finger potentially difficult lines.

To start with, I would work on the 5 basic positions of scales. These positions are all within a 4-5 fret span, with 2-3 notes per string. These are the easiest to finger and will cover almost all the situations you'll run into.

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

There are many possible fingerings for scales, which at first may seem daunting, but in the long run it's a great benifit because you can have multiple options to finger potentially difficult lines.

To start with, I would work on the 5 basic positions of scales. These positions are all within a 4-5 fret span, with 2-3 notes per string. These are the easiest to finger and will cover almost all the situations you'll run into.

So in other words, I should map our the 5 basic positons myself and then learn them? Then branch out from there?

Maybe what I'll do is learn the Major scale in every key that way and then I'll move on to some other scales.

It's very confusing trying to piece all of this info together. It's almost as if this stuff just suddenly clicks.

• Members

I'm trying to figure out how to split the scale into 5 equal parts. However there comes a point in the scale where I can't decide to start and stop.

On the 10th fret, all the strings are part of the scale. However, all the strings on the 12 fret are also part of the scale. If I include everything from the 10th fret all the way to 17 that is 7 frets! If I go from the 12th fret to the 17th that is 5 frets.

So where does that leave me on how to split the scale?

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

You might want to look into the CAGED system of scales and chords.

Just to elaborate a bit for you, the example is given for the G major scale. If you want to look at the C major scale, just find the place where the red circle (root) is C. You'll find it at the 8th fret.

Do the same for the rest of the positions. One thing you will notice is that once you know the major scale in one key, you pretty much know it in every key. The fingering patterns are the same, and you only change the starting point (root).

If you want to know the notes for each major scale, you can construct them as you did the C major scale, use the Circle of 5ths/4ths, identify them in the fingerboard, etc.

As a final note, each major scale has a relative minor starting on its 6th degree. For example, in the case of C major, the relative minor is C (D) (E) (F) (G) A minor. That is, if you play the notes from the C major scale, but think of A as the root, you have the A minor scale (A B C D E F G A). In the website you mentioned you can look at the A Aeolian scale. The Aeolian mode is a different name for the minor scale.

• Members

Originally posted by Bobby Litski

So in other words, I should map our the 5 basic positons myself and then learn them? Then branch out from there?

If you start with a pentatonic scale, the five postions map themselves out, because you just start on each different note of the 5-note scale.

A major scale is just a pentatonic scale with two more notes thrown in.

So learn your pentatonic scale (A minor pentatonic) in all five postitions. Then throw in the B and the F and you will suddenly know the C major scale in 5 positions.

• Members

I'm a little confused... all those scales right there seem to be for different keys?

Are all of those moving down the neck all the way down the C major scale or are they all on the first 4 frets and just so you a sample of the different keys?

Edit: I'm learning all this stuff from all over the place... so I'm kinda a little confused between all the info that I've been reading. Maybe I'm having information overload now.

• Members

I'm a little confused... all those scales right there seem to be for different keys?

Are all of those moving down the neck all the way down the C major scale or are they all on the first 4 frets and just so you a sample of the different keys?

Edit: I'm learning all this stuff from all over the place... so I'm kinda a little confused between all the info that I've been reading. Maybe I'm having information overload now.

The black dots are the root note of the scale.

So say it's D major, position 1 starts on the 2nd fret, 2 on the 5th fret, 3 on the 7th fret, 4 on the 9th fret, 5 on the 12th fret.

• Members

Well, I understand the route notes and everything. It's just that I dont get what that web site was showing me.

Was is showing me all in the same key or a scale laid out in the 5 different sections?

When you go about learning a scale dont you go about learning it all the way down the neck in one key first?

Or do you go about learning the scale in all the keys on the first 4 frets first?

• Members

Well, I understand the route notes and everything. It's just that I dont get what that web site was showing me.

Was is showing me all in the same key or a scale laid out in the 5 different sections?

When you go about learning a scale dont you go about learning it all the way down the neck in one key first?

Or do you go about learning the scale in all the keys on the first 4 frets first?

I'd say learn in one key in all five positions.

The way this is, you could do it either way.

It doesn't specify frets.

It's up to you to figure out what the fret is by looking at the black dots, for what you want to do.

My previous post gave you the frets assuming the black dots were "D" notes.

• Members

I already mapped out the entirety of the C major scale myself. I have it all mapped out where the root notes are as well.

What I basically did is break it down into 5 different positions showing the root notes in each position. I broke each position down into 4-5 fret span. I figure it'll serve the purpose I'm looking for.

• Members

I already mapped out the entirety of the C major scale myself. I have it all mapped out where the root notes are as well.

What I basically did is break it down into 5 different positions showing the root notes in each position. I broke each position down into 4-5 fret span. I figure it'll serve the purpose I'm looking for.

Well there you go then.

If you have all the notes mapped out across the neck, you can try:

1. Positions where you don't have to move your hand to play the scale

2. 3 notes per string scale

3. 4 notes per string scale

those last 2 will require your hand to move position as you go up the scale

• Members

they are in the same key. and they move up the neck in the same key.

But if yuo stay in the same position on the neck, then they WILL change key.

http://www.jguitar.com/scale?root=C&scale=Ionian&fret=12&labels=letter&notes=sharps

is a useful site for working them out, i have shown the 'pattern one' shape.

Archived