Finger Seperation

typedeaF

• Members

I have nice long skinny fingers but I cant seem to stretch them very far. My main concern is between the middle and ring finger. When I was young, I tried to force seperation by wedging a coke bottle between the two for a hour or so a few times a week. That didnt help. I saw Lynch doing some fingerings where he was stretching from 3rd to 5th fret between the two. I tried way up around the 12th fret for ever. I tried for 12 to 14 a few weeks and it never got easy. I backed it down to 14 to 16, still not easy. If i use "bad" posture and let my thumb hang over the neck and my fingers angle, I can do it no problem, but the problem is, it doesnt cause any real seperation in my fingers. Has anyone else had so much trouble seperating the middle fingers?

Also, I remember when I learned "Cowboys from Hell". The solo has a little run that starts with a minor triad 12-15-19. No big deal. Then it goes to 12-15-20 across the strings. Cant do it, never could. I always cheated and tapped it. Help? All the finger stretch evercises in the world dont ever seem to help. I never see ANY progress. Maybe it takes months?

When I saw that 9yr old kid shredding like Paul Gilbert with those little kid hands, I suddenly lost all valiadtion for it being due to size of the hands.

• Members

There's virtually nothing you can do to increase the separation between those two fingers. The best you can really hope for is to make the separation you are capable of more comfortable.

The motions involved in spreading them apart actually pushes them together on the other end of the chain (away from your fingertips). Since that's right in the middle of your palm, there's little room to move. It's a bone/tendon/ligament issue, and that's mostly genetic.

Stretches involving any other finger combinations aren't nearly as limited, but you need to develop the flexibility slowly over a long period of time.

• Members
Originally posted by typedeaF

So you are saying what you are born with there is all you get? Some lucky people just have more seperation naturally?
:(
((((

Yes. What you can do is work on those 2 fingers to make the best with what you've got. Remember, huge stretches aren't all that important; that's why there's 6 strings on the instrument. :D

Archived