New Apple product supports WinXP dual boot (no joke).

Sinner6

• Members

Originally posted by warpus

Wow thats alot of stuff.

Funny thing is. I really have given the Windows thing a fair on honest try a few times. I really wanted to go Windows for many reasons.

I always come back to the Mac.

Reality check: It just works. Period.

More reality check: Now with my new Mac Book Pro. Its fast, its portable, and it just works.

Extra reality check: I can run Windows anyways if I ever HAVE to.

whats even funnier i gave the mac a few tries but keep going back to windows.

it isnt gaming either that brings me back. it is the operating system. i really dislike not having different ways to do things or not being able to do them at all. that sums up osx for me. running on the same hardware as winxp right now it just lacks certain features i rely on in day to day usage. right click context menus for one. say i want to get to the display panel properties to adjust brightness. i can click on the start menu, then the control panel, then on display properties to get to it. or i can right click on any empty space on my desktop and select properties on the menu that pops up and i'm there. this is one example of all the different right click menu shortcuts built into the os. other than that the look of osx gets in the way for me. a real issue is downloading to the desktop throws an item under the docking bar if it falls in line that the next empty spot is there. then you have to shrink down the docking bar to get to it. it should realize that desktop is above docking bar's current top border but somehow doesn't.

one other thing about osx is it's lack of hardly any integrated features. it is austere in comparison to windows xp. i never went in for active desktops or sound schemes so it isn't pretty dressings it is the little things. the tweakability factor of windows is higher than osx. i can strip out features if i don't use them and stop services from running if i choose or if i need more i can include services to run to accomplish tasks someone else may not need. the little things basically.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And BTW, to set the brightness on my display, I just reach over to the side of my Apple 30" cinema display where there is a giant "+" and a giant "-" button. It instantaneous, no contextual menu needed (although OS X does have them too, just like Windows, I just right click with my Mighty Mouse to get them ;-))

• Members

Originally posted by wetwareinterface

running on the same hardware as winxp right now it just lacks certain features i rely on in day to day usage. right click context menus for one. say i want to get to the display panel properties to adjust brightness. i can click on the start menu, then the control panel, then on display properties to get to it. or i can right click on any empty space on my desktop and select properties on the menu that pops up and i'm there.

On a Mac, you don't need to go to a menu to adjust the display brightness, you have those two buttons right on the cpu keyboard. Much faster than a menu. I use a mighty mouse and right click context menus all day long.

Same thing with right clicking on the desktop.

• Members

Yes, WWI, its obvious you love tinkering with your computer more than doing much else with it. For you, I completely agree, Windows is a better choice.

For tinkering, Linux should be even better than Windows.

• Members

Just saw in another thread where someone was saying that they can't use Windows Media Center with pretty much every professional or semi-professional audio interface on the market.

Thats really sad as my MOTU Traveler works perfectly with Apple's Front Row and I'd guess that pretty much any audio interface would as well.

Im just trying understand how Windows handling of audio is superior. I don't get it yet.

• Members

Im just trying understand how Windows handling of audio is superior. I don't get it yet.

Basically, PCs are cheaper (and thus automatically better) and windows runs on them, thus also being better, and since PC users are either oblivious or deeply insecure, they'll defend it to the death.

It's quite obvious that anyone trumpting the wonders of the windows audio and MIDI system bases this on program X seeming to work okay, rather than having paid any attention to the architecture, and certainly not having done any development. CoreAudio and CoreMIDI really are quite nice.

B>

ps. I don't /want/ whining PC users to use macs, because it's harder to brush off someone whining about the system you're using. Particularly not the subset that believe that a cost-benefit ratio can be calculated with a constant denominator.

Archived