Anyone who wants the best help from others should learn the standard musical terms.

• Members
Originally posted by lazaraga

what are the standard musical terms?

who are some composers who have used standard musical terms?

;)

Quit being silly.:)

To answer your question-all of them. The standard terms for measures of rhythm and pitch and feeling and tempo and timing and intervals and everything that is one of the many things that music is made of. A barr, or measure is one whole note and takes a count of 4 beats in a 4/4 time designated piece of music. Stuff like that.

• Members

You're adding a barrier to learning.

The last thing a new guitarist needs is more barriers.

The experts on this board should really be able to filter out the nonsense and focus on the essential. That's why you are experts.

Adding another layer of complexity to an already complex learning situation isn't desirable.

KY

• Members

I think the MOST basic thing you can learn when building a foundation to help you further your knowledge into complex concepts is...learning Intervals.

Intervals are at the foundation of Scales, Chords, Harmony, Unison, Cycles, etc...they are the basic common point of interest that all this stuff is built up from.

And of course you can get a pretty good understanding of them at my web site. Just follow the links to the Intervals Series.

Beyond that...building chords, building chord withing a key/scale, chord concepts, scales, etc...and reading music is a big help for learning things.

But I don't think anything can replace a great understanding of Intervals when considering learning Music Theory.

Also, so many discussion regarding Theory use basic Interval term to describe the concept. It's a lingo you'll need to know.

Archived