1U Rack Computers on the Bay...

• Members

I like the idea of rackmount PC's but the problem is most rackmountable cases were designed for server use and are considerably deeper than audio equipment - and won't fit onto standard audio racks, even with rails.

Another issue are that servers usually are VERY loud, with high speed 40mm fans blaring away. Not an issue if your server are racked in a server room but for home use they can get pretty annoying quickly.

• Members

The ad says they are only about 16" deep- not too bad. It will only handle a P3 or Celeron processor though and 512 ram- not really enough for doing audio/softsynth type of stuff.

We have a bunch of those "pizza box" servers at my job. Most of them are real deep- way deeper than an standard gear rack. They are also very limited on expansion capability as they are designed to do simple things such as web interfacing.

• Members

Well like I said, I found out about them from the OASYS forum at Yahoo, and those run on their own DSP, I'm sure you could work in some other DSP cards in there and use it as say a dedicated synth or effects "rack", or just use it as say a MIDI sequencer or something.

Hell, for under $100, if I had the cash I'd just find out about upgrading the damn thing and just buying those for the form factor and some parts... throw in a new motherboard, lots of ram... run LIVE or something on it...

• Members

TIP:

If you want something like this for use as a sound module in your studio, you can connect it to your internet router (if you have one) and use VNC (www.realvnc.com) to control it. This way it doesn't need to have it's own separate monitor... you just connect to it from your main DAW and do what you need.

Another option for multiple computer use in a confined space is a KVM switch... basically it allows you to connect your monitor, mouse and keyboard to multiple computers at once and switch between them with the press of a button.

Archived