Thinking of getting an MPC2500 but need some advice

Ronin

• Members

Okay, I'm thinking of getting an MPC2500. However, I'm not a hip hop guy(although I do love me some hip hop, has anyone heard this Aesop Rock guy? Particularly Labor Days?) I have a really different set of goals. I was wondering if it could do these things:

1) Change a samples register? For example if I sampled an A minor chord could I manipulate it to a B minor chord? Or could I even have the machine take a sample and move it 12 steps in any direction?

2) Could I manipulate the pitch of samples?

3) Does the time stretch alter the pitch of the sample? I was hoping I could be able to time stretch something to the point where it changes it's sonic composition and then correct it or further destory it with some kind of pitch control.

4) Could I severly e.q. a sample and then resample it for further e.q'n?

5) Would any of the earlier i.e. less expensive MPC's accomplish this goal. I'd want a cd burner and large hard drive as well.

Alrighty, if anyone answers these I'll be crazy grateful!!! Note the three exclimation points!

• Members

1- yes

2-yes

note that one and two amount to the same thing afaik ie changing the pitch. unless im missing something. keep in mind that the chord will get shorter/long when repitched unless you use the timestretch in tandem.

3- no, afaik, thats kinda the point... but you can accomplish that by combining timestretch with pitch shift as mentioned.

4-yes

5-well the mpc1000 will do all of these things for cheaper. only thing its missing is cd burner capability i believe.

That's what I own, the 1k.

grateful yet ;) ?

Originally posted by Ronin

Okay, I'm thinking of getting an MPC2500. However, I'm not a hip hop guy(although I do love me some hip hop, has anyone heard this Aesop Rock guy? Particularly Labor Days?) I have a really different set of goals. I was wondering if it could do these things:

1) Change a samples register? For example if I sampled an A minor chord could I manipulate it to a B minor chord? Or could I even have the machine take a sample and move it 12 steps in any direction?

2) Could I manipulate the pitch of samples?

3) Does the time stretch alter the pitch of the sample? I was hoping I could be able to time stretch something to the point where it changes it's sonic composition and then correct it or further destory it with some kind of pitch control.

4) Could I severly e.q. a sample and then resample it for further e.q'n?

5) Would any of the earlier i.e. less expensive MPC's accomplish this goal. I'd want a cd burner and large hard drive as well.

Alrighty, if anyone answers these I'll be crazy grateful!!! Note the three exclimation points!

• Members

Very grateful! Grateful indeed. Just to clear things up though, when I think of pitch I think of the same note just higher or lower. Like an A2 to an A6. Your positive I would be able to sample some background vocals of say an B-D-E-F# progression and move it to a A-C-D-E progression?

• Members

I think you might have a tough time getting EXACT pitched right on, but you get quite a bit of control, so with some practice you should be able to do it.

I have a 2000xl, and it doesn't work with "pitch" really, so for instance, "sample 1" isn't associated with a pitch, it's just a sample, and while you can pitch it up and down up to I think 200 or so points, it's still all relative to the original pitch of the sample.

The 2500 and 1000 might have expanded and made this function easier, and there are tricks to it too (I know some on a Yahoo group that use a standard guitar tuner or something to "tune" their samples, dunno how accurate it is, but I'm sure it's a pretty close approximation).

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is it is totally possible, but it may be tricky at first...

• Members

Like I said, I haven't used the newest MPC's, so they might make this particular task a lot easier than my older 2kXL, but regardless I know that the fader can be used to alter pitch, there is also "16 Levels" which can spread one sound over all 16 pads and different pitches.

Like I said, you can easily change the pitch of any sample, all I meant to say was that it might not be as straight forward as "make sample 1 from A to C" or something...

• Members

Well with the 1k the pitch adjustment is in units of semitones (or fractional semitones) so its pretty darn easy to tune something up say 3 steps or whatever.

Unless you're big into differently tempered scales or something...

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

Like I said, I haven't used the newest MPC's, so they might make this particular task a lot easier than my older 2kXL, but regardless I know that the fader can be used to alter pitch, there is also "16 Levels" which can spread one sound over all 16 pads and different pitches.

Like I said, you can easily change the pitch of any sample, all I meant to say was that it might not be as straight forward as "make sample 1 from A to C" or something...

• Members

The MPC can repitch a sample but it cannot revoice a sample of a chord by repitching the constituent notes of that chord because it has no way to determine those constituent pitch elements.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

true, samplers generally can't revoice the chord or change the interval relationship within the chord.

i had thought the original poster was just wanting to take, say a maj7 chord and change it to a maj7 chord, different key same inversion, which afaik is possible with basic re-pitching.

but good to make sure.

Originally posted by aeon

The MPC can repitch a sample but it cannot revoice a sample of a chord by repitching the constituent notes of that chord because it has no way to determine those constituent pitch elements.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Sorry for any confusion, but I'd like to do both. I think the pitch thing is established. I think the note altering thing for going from e to f# or something is now what I'm really looking for clearification on. By the way, thanks for all the help it's been awesome. By pitch I just mean making the same not higher or lower say an A5 to an A6. Sorry for any confusion.

• Members

Another thing you might find, like if you KNOW you want to change a sample from "pitch A" to "pitch B", you might get some dedicated software, probably for free, then dump the samples back into the MPC (which you can probably do via USB right?).

Kind of not the quickest, most intuitive way to work, but if there are a few instances when you MUST have that right pitch and you know what you want, it could be a nice supplement to the basic pitch-changes of the MPC.

Archived