software to get fragments from MP3

Janx

• Members

Does anybody know of a good, free windows program that can play an MP3 and cut sound fragments from it.

Basically, I'm want to open up an MP3 of a song I'm learning to play, and I want to mark a segment I'm working on, and be able to play just that bit (or loop that bit). I guess that's what some of the looper devices are for, but why buy a doo-hickey when i have a PC.

Way back in the day, my SoundBlaster16 from Creative Labs came witha great WAV file editor that did this. You got to see a whole O-scope view of the file, got a cursor to mark its playing position, and you could copy, cut and paste with it.

Thanks,

Janx

Get Winamp (www.winamp.com) to play the mp3, and download the plugin "Loop Master." It allows you to slect a start and end point and loop the recording. You can also get this at winamp.com

Also worth mentioning is the "PaceMaker" plugin that allows you to adjust the tempo, pitch, or both of a recording. Good for slowing down hard parts for figuring out or playing along with. Also you can 'tune up' a recording that uses downtuned guitars if you don't feel like bothering with retuning your guitar. Pacemaker is also at winamp.com, and all of these things are free.

• Members

Thanks for the links.

I'm going to try Loop Master for WinAmp. Seems simple enough, and I already use WinAmp.

Audacity looks interesting, but seems rather tweaky on whether it can import an MP3 with no fuss. v1.3 looks like it'll be good.

Archived