Name this chord??

alez

• Members

Chaps,

A guitar player friend of mine is using some chord I don't know how to name (he arpeggiates it more than anything).

Guitar neck as follows (sorry about notation, I don't play guitar myself):

6th string: not played

5th string: 2nd fret, B

4th string: open, D

3rd string: open, G

2nd string: 1st fret, C

1st string: open, E (although he favours the sound of the chord without this note, he kind of removed it later)

Context for this is the following changes for a song in the key of Am:

|| Am7 | this chord | CMaj | Dm7 DMaj(#5) ||

Can you give a hand with naming the chord, any hints on how the chord works or how to approach improvisation over it would be great as well.

Thanks!!

• Members

The real function of that chord is to walk up from the Am7 to the Cmaj7 chord... with the B in the bass... you could call it a Cmaj7sus2, basically it's just the three notes that are common to a C chord and an Am7 chord with the B in the bass.... or a kind of G chord with that C added on top of it... normally one would play something like

x

x

(G/B)

or

x

x

(implying Am/B)

but that's ok becasue it is your friend's song and he can do whatever he likes...

anyway, solo in key of C major from the Am all the way to the Dm, the Dmaj#5 chord requires the F# and Bb.... the chord in question is a passing chord that animates the motion form Am to C

• Members

Although.. :)

Originally posted by joenovice

Very simple... in context.... Cmaj9/B

points for Herr Masel;)

One last question gentlemen, is this still valid if he doesn't play the 1st string at all? Can you still say it's a CMaj9 when there's no third? Or do you need to name it Csus2.. with the maj 7th extension and a B bass?? Or does the Maj 7th extension imply somehow a major 3rd even if it is not played, thus CMaj9/B?

Cheers,

Alex

• Members

Cmaj7sus2/B? Gadd11/B? or ....... Bmin 6/9

Actually this is where it becomes more ambiguous. Is the E played in the melody? Is the C played in the melody?

Typically if the 3rd is not present then the chord takes on a new name. It's common to omit the 5th but there are never situations where the 3rd is omitted.

• Members

Originally posted by alez

Although..
:)

One last question gentlemen, is this still valid if he doesn't play the 1st string at all? Can you still say it's a CMaj9 when there's no third? Or do you need to name it Csus2.. with the maj 7th extension and a B bass?? Or does the Maj 7th extension imply somehow a major 3rd even if it is not played, thus CMaj9/B?

Cheers,

Alex

Right, the reason I called it sus2 instead of 9 is becuase 1. there is no third and 2. the D note is below both the C and G - while you might ocassionally have a voicing with a 9 below the root, it's unlikely on guitar, but below both the 5th and the root it has a different tonality from an upper extension - just my 2 cents....

by the way, when I played it, arpeggiating like you said your friend does, it really sounds like a G chord... it's just a natural thing to do on guitar to move your middle finger from the 2nd fret 4th string to the 2nd fret 5th string, as a walking bass line from the open A to the C... if you were to get really technical it implies G11 but lacks the 7th... sounds nice though.... doesn't seem to need any alteration...

actually, as Joe Novice noted it could be called G/B add 11, I think that's a winner

• Members

Originally posted by jazzbo

Right, the reason I called it sus2 instead of 9 is becuase 1. there is no third and 2. the D note is below both the C and G - while you might ocassionally have a voicing with a 9 below the root, it's unlikely on guitar, but below both the 5th and the root it has a different tonality from an upper extension - just my 2 cents....

by the way, when I played it, arpeggiating like you said your friend does, it really sounds like a G chord... it's just a natural thing to do on guitar to move your middle finger from the 2nd fret 4th string to the 2nd fret 5th string, as a walking bass line from the open A to the C... if you were to get really technical it implies G11 but lacks the 7th... sounds nice though.... doesn't seem to need any alteration...

actually, as Joe Novice noted it could be called G/B add 11, I think that's a winner

thats what i call it, Gadd11 in 1st inversion.

But if it had the E, i'd call Cmaj9/B

• Members

It's common to omit the 5th but there are never situations where the 3rd is omitted.

:confused: How? I mean, the very concept of sus chords is to describe chords not having a third, hence my confusion.

Cheers,

Alex

• Members

Originally posted by alez

:confused:
How? I mean, the very concept of sus chords is to describe chords not having a third, hence my confusion.

Cheers,

Alex

Sorry for not being more clear.

I was referring to Major, dominate, minor, and diminished chords. Basically everything but the SUS must have the 3rd present. (speaking in terms of triad construciton.... quintal and quartal harmony can generate some less than traditional results)

That's also what I meant by saying

Typically if the 3rd is not present then the chord takes on a new name.

If there is no 3rd then it is called a sus or is renamed with a different root.

• Members

Em7(b13)/B

Kinda a phrygian chord (used as a IIIrd grade chord), think of the Am7- "CHORD"- Cmaj7 progression as a VIm-IIIm-Imaj prog.

play that chord, then play the progression using a plain Em chord instead of that chord.

Archived