Eddie Van Halen pinch harmonics

• Members

Hi,

How's everyone? After months of practice I finally got a grasp of how to play some of Eddie's most famous songs. Some of them sound really good after listening back to my recordings. The only thing I have a problem with is the pinch harmonics.

I can do about 7 pinch harmonics on the high end of the fretboard(positions memorized), but after viewing some EVH videos, it seems like he does some pinch harmonics on some lower frets. How do I achieve those harmonics? I know practice has a lot to do with it, but is there some sort of diagram that shows where harmonics are most easily acheived? One of his songs that I want to use the harmonics in is the Humans Being song.

Thanks

MB35

• Members

The way to achieve those p.h. should be the same at every fret... to me lower frets actually sound better for p.h. because the string has somehow less tension and I can pinch more easily.

IMO artificial harmonics aren't something you need to spend a lot of time on. At some point, they just become natural to do. It's a bit like learning to whistle when kids, you don't sit in front of the mirror and try and try until you whistle, but it rather just comes out natural at some point :)

• Members

In my experiences distortion is a key for making your guitar scream with p.h.s, I always found it easier on my bridge pickup which is a S.D JB, Like Li shenron said it should be the same whether ur doing it on the upper frets or on the lower frets, just depends how ur doing in the first place. Just make sure where your pinching on your picking hand is where it sounds best, just move around the different positions you can pick and feel what is best for you.

I always do pinch harmonics, by "pinching" it harder than I normally pick, and add a nice vibrato to it, the pinch harmonic on lower frets your talking about is similar to the one he uses on the intro riff of Ain't talking about Love right?

When I was first learning it, it was nearly impossible to get it right, but after 1 day of practice, I was able to pick out pinch harmonics on every part of the fretboard, just make sure you have proper technique and add that vibrato! Zakk Wylde likes to use P.H.s alot and key to it sounding nice is that nice wide vibrato :)

• Members

i actually caught on to PH VERY quick..i learned UNPLUGGED on a hollowbody

I thought i had it down, cause i could do some at will, maily 5 7 and 9th frets

but this little video here showed me the one little thing iw as missing with my right hand

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_harmonics.html

i seriously picked up this technique in under an hour and can at will ANYWHERE. i found the sweet spot for both bridge and neck pickups

hope this helps

• Members

Harmonics are acheived by lightly touching the string at 1/2 the length, 1/3, 1/4, etc... so it matters where you are picking along the length of the string.... generally speaking I think it is easier to get harmonics on the lower strings.... try to pick closer to the neck

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

i actually caught on to PH VERY quick..i learned UNPLUGGED on a hollowbody

I thought i had it down, cause i could do some at will, maily 5 7 and 9th frets

but this little video here showed me the one little thing iw as missing with my right hand

i seriously picked up this technique in under an hour and can at will ANYWHERE. i found the sweet spot for both bridge and neck pickups

hope this helps

Great link man. Thanks a lot!!

MB35

Archived