Just got a Fusion...

Khazul

• Members

Well - I bought this because I was have after 4 separate things - useful sampler, 88key piano like keyboard and an FM synth and a basic audio/midi sequencer/multitrack for capturing random ideas and stuff without having to fire up the computer.

So Ive ended up with a Fusion HD8 and actually I really pleasently suprised with the rest of the package.

Alot of people have commented on the sounds being crap - well here my take after having used for about 8 hours or so now with latest OS, so more of a first impressions thing:

For backgroud I have a Motif ES rack - so Ill use that as a reference for the rompler sounds that I have played with so for.

Most of the rompler sounds definately are not as polished or processed as the sounds in the ES rack, or, from memory, as polished as sounds in the Fantom-X. My general feel is that the EQ seems to be off on many patches, the velocity layers need a little tweaking to smooth things a little sometimes.

But now that my ears have adjusted to not consider its sound alien - Im actually beginning to much prefer it to many of the ES sounds which by comparison seem rather dull and over processed. I think the pianos are smoother on the ES - you are far elss aware of sampling quirks, layer switching etc out of the box, but very quickly Im finding I actually like the sampling quirks, and the layers are easy to smooth out - bu comparison - the Yamaha pianos seem very dull - good for banging out rock/pop and but dead for classical or jazz.

Keyboard feel nice as a transition for someone used to good semi-weighted synth keybeds - ie ie has enough inertia to give plenty of sensitivity but aint like playing bricks as with heavy weighted boards. Black key have a fine ornage peel finish on the tops - so I sspect a fatar keyboard. Only downer - the key corners are a little rough - irratating on a stretch as tends to catch your fingers a little, but am soon adjusting.

I havnt got into programming the thing yet - still working my way though the rom and hollow sun sounds. So far its definately exceeding expectations, escpecially considering the new prices.

I have been through most of the synthy presets - FM stuff is nice, the VA stuff is so so - actually I doubt I will use any of the VA presets without severe tweaking, but it does have very extensive mod capabilities and a very bright sound to it - so a nice compliment to my Virus TI. For phatt smoothness and sweet filters - no way in hell it can touch the virus, but phatt sounds sometimes need to be complimented by thin sounds :)

Re: some people comments about a bit of a cheap feel to it - yes and no - the main construction is very solid, but the bits that could get battered during setup/tear down for gigging do seem rather flimsey and show signs of not quite perfect moulding of the plastic - Keep your gigging case close by, dont let roadies loose on it :)

Im not a fan of the rubber buttons either - I like buttons with a gentle but positive click to them, but the way the lighting is done on them is very practical - all the ledgends are backlit as are the mod and pitch wheels (when off zero position - and they are blue!!! :)).

As a gigging mechine, it seems to have too many sensitive bits sticking out and the curved case is annoying - had to fashion some shaped pads for the keyboard stand to stop it rocking. Also as its curved on top - then cant stick another controller on it. (I usually have my MD on my Virus for eg).

Anyway - bottom line - Im very happy with it so far (as a studio bound machine) - Ive basically ended up paying less for a Motif ES rack + the Fusion HD8 (I bought the ES rack last summer) than I would have spent on a Motif ES 8. I fully expected to end up continuing to use rompler sounds from my ES-Rack, but actually, I might sell the ES rack now. There are just loads of good sounding and varied painos, EPs and organs on it especially one you add the hollow sounds banks and thast without finally being able to start making use of my old sample libraries again outside of software.

I know Carbon has said good things about it as well - well here is another thumbs up for it - especialy at the price.

:thu:

(Once I get into the synthesis side - maypost a follow up if anyone is interested...)

• Members

Congrats!

The general impression that I am getting from people that own and have looked into getting one is that it is almost there but not quite there yet. I hope there is a Fusion 2 someday but I am not even sure that will happen seeing as how poorly it appears the Fusion did. Would have been nice if Alesis would have worked on it longer before releasing it. The reports that they let out about the development process made it clear that things were being extremely rushed, as they didn

• Members

Originally posted by Khazul

Carbon - yeh - stuck all 5 sets of them on the first evening I had it. Alot of good sounds in there from the quick scan though Ive had so far
:)

what's that process like? DL to computer, save into files, send files over usb to Fusion? or do you have to use some type of memory card? or what?

once they're in the Fusion, are they easy to find and use?

• Members

I'll admit that I'm too lazy to download the manual for this but I'm at work, so :)

How should I understand these different forms of synthesis? One patch is

sample engine XOR VA engine XOR FM engine XOR PM engine

or..

sample engine for osc block 1, VA engine for osc block 2 - so in other words, more like an EX5 or OASYS or more like a Motif with a PLG/VL/AN plugin board?

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

what's that process like? DL to computer, save into files, send files over usb to Fusion? or do you have to use some type of memory card? or what?

once they're in the Fusion, are they easy to find and use?

Basically its as easy as copying files to a memory stick - process in exactly the same in fact.

Plug fusion in to USB, it appears as a USB hard drive, copy the files on, dismount it, go back to the fusion and enter this system menu to basically tell it to re-index its hard drive (takes a couple of seconds) and your done.

• Members

My understanding (based on the word from newer buyers on the Fusion Synth forums) is that newer units of the Fusion are shipping not only with the newer, much-improved OS pre-installed, but also with the first 5 Hollow Sun sample sets already pre-installed, and complete with their own additional sound bank of programs as well!

I'm actually driving all the way to New Orleans (what's left of it) today to Guitar Center to check out a Fusion that the head of the keyboard department there personally owns. I'm excited--I'm very close to getting a Fusion myself! :)

• Members

Originally posted by swandiver

My understanding (based on the word from newer buyers on the Fusion Synth forums) is that newer units of the Fusion are shipping not only with the newer, much-improved OS pre-installed, but also with the first 5 Hollow Sun sample sets already pre-installed, and complete with their own additional sound bank of programs as well!

I'm actually driving all the way to New Orleans (what's left of it) today to Guitar Center to check out a Fusion that the head of the keyboard department there personally owns. I'm excited--I'm very close to getting a Fusion myself!

Make sure its updated to the most recent OS and at least has the "Bank 5 HD" or Hollow Sun sounds on it...otherwise you may be disappointed by the ROM soundset - not awfull or anything, just not as sparkly as Krog or Yahama's presets. The Piano is rather nice though :)

Just be careful with GC...I've had some terrible experiences with them...the Fusion at my local GC still has the very first OS on it and one of the attached monitors is blown... :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

I'll admit that I'm too lazy to download the manual for this but I'm at work, so

How should I understand these different forms of synthesis? One patch is

sample engine XOR VA engine XOR FM engine XOR PM engine

or..

sample engine for osc block 1, VA engine for osc block 2 - so in other words, more like an EX5 or OASYS or more like a Motif with a PLG/VL/AN plugin board?

For any patch, you select what kind of synth model you want - Analog, FM, Sample, Drum, Reed Model or Wind Model.

The multi-mode filter is allways available, regardless of synth mode - so its a plus for the FM mode as you get one of the most desirable results of combining FM and subtractive.

BTW - just started to mess with the VA - seems to have a high energy fast envelope sound to it - should be good for punchy bass sounds with any luck, failing that FM+a filter is allways good for bass :)

Oh - and for anyone who likes a huge collection of accoustic painos, electric grands, rhodes, wurlys (from snarley to tiney) - the collection is huge by the time you stick the Hollow Sounds sets on. Some really very good tweakable EPs in their - some of the wurlys are really good I think.

• 11 months later...

Archived