Cheap Tricks...

• Members

Let's start a thread is about the cheap tricks that we all know.. The little licks and gimmicks that are easy to master (say a week of practice) but really impress people (or even other musicans).

Let's share some of these gems... I'll start with something I've learned from my teacher the week ago. It's rather simple but rocks.. I've impressed the {censored} out of my band-mates with it:

A decending pulloff lick with a twist:

tripplet-lick.gif

Pretty easy. Melodically it's almost pentatonic, but the lick is a bit odd to play, and that's what it makes interesting:

Think in tripplets: You play the first two notes as ordinary picked notes (decending, on adjecting strings). The third note is a pull of from the first played note to the open string. So let your index-finger rest on that note. It took me a hour to get used to it, but now it's a piece of cake to play.

This lick works very good over G-major and e-minor.. Lots of other licks like this can be created as long as the scale and open strings match...

Please contribute and show us your cheap tricks... I love these things..

• Members

perhaps someone can provide me with a dozen or so licks that start with this:

----------------12-------
-----------12-------------
-14b16-------------------
-------------------------
---------------------------
--------------------------

Here's a new one I learned a couple weeks ago that I never though of:

On an acoustic/classical guitar (though I suppose this would work on electric too), try placing a paper clip across some of the strings. It sounds just like a ring modulator, which coming from an unamplified acoustic guitar is really bizzarre.

Another interesting trick: try tapping the side of the pick against the strings around the bridge area. You'll get some eerie "chirping" from the strings, and sounds great with delay and other modulation effects for ambiant texture. I first heard it done by Tim Reynolds, but I've also heard Tom Morello use it on a RATM song or two.

• Members

A super-fast string skipping lick played entirely with pinch harmonics. Play it first with the guitar behind your head, then play the same thing an octave higher with your teeth. That's what I'd call rock out with your cock out!:D

Archived