Can someone with better ears than mine, tell me what scales hes using??

Y4RUH8?

Originally posted by Y4RUH8?

Interlude

The last relapse

Day of Justice

These three all use the natural minor scale. A lot of the lead parts are minor pentatonic, but he often throws in the other two notes of the natural minor scale. Usually the fast runs are pentatonic (pentatonic scales are easier to play fast).

Eradication

This one is a little different. The first could seconds are natural minor, but chord the quickly follows is a bit different. I hear a b9, a #4/b5, and some major thirds in there. Though I'm not certain without sitting down and transcribing the whole thing note for note, the inverted diminished scale (the half/whole diminished scale) will get you a sound very close to that. The overall harmony of that particular scale is of an altered dominant 7th chord, and there are a lot of tasty notes in it (the b9, #9, and #4). In A, that would be:

A Bb C C# D# E F# G A

• Members

natural minor.. i should have known. and pentatonic. i definately recognized the minor bits in there, but i just couldnt believe he could make such complicated stuff using such basic scales. Then again, what do I know.. Thanks man, you're an asset to this forum.

btw if you have the time: can you tell me what type of chords hes using during the sweeping section?

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=43584FD34B88BE17

the solo starts at 3;25, the sweepings at 3;50 so you can skip directly there if you hate the song. thanks again! :thu:

The first one was C# minor (the key of the song) and the second one was A major (the bVI chord in the key of C#m).

The two are almost identical, except for one note. I figured out the first chord because it's simply the tonic, and the tonic has a very obvious sound. Then I heard that one note shifting up one half step, and I knew it was an A chord (though it probably is still starting on the note C#). The shift is pretty smooth between the chords:

G# -> A
E -> E
C# -> C#

The rhythm section is also playing the same chords at the same time (though probably only as power chords). If you know the chords that are going on in the rhythm section, 99% of the time the solo line is simply arpeggiating that same chord.

Though it might not be exact this is roughly the arpeggio pattern:

Archived