Chords & Learning Guitar

ssimontis

• Members

I have been playing bass for about a year now, and decided that I would like to get in to guitar. Yesterday I went out to GC and purchased an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody guitar, and I can now start learning.

However, I'm a little confused as to where to start. So far I have just been messing around to get used to picking and the smaller frets. I plan to learn songs by tab in order to get the hang of playing guitar, but I would also like to learn how to read music (I can only read bass clef) and chords.

I don't think I'll have problems with treble clef, I will pick up a few books to help me with that. But what I would like to know is about chords. So far I have only really worked with power chords because they are so easy yet so common. I have begun to learn other chords as well, I have C Major and G Major down so far. Should I keep up with learning chords and try to get them all down? Is pure memorization the best way, or is there some easier method? And how long will it take me to fluently switch between chords? It takes me a second or two to switch between C and G, if I try to do it too quickly I end up putting a wrong finger down.

If anyone can give me direction in learning chords, or about learning guitar in general, it would be greatly appreciated. I hope to take lessons soon, although I don't have a job during marching band season and thus have no way of paying and must wait until November/December.

• Members

you could try learning one chord a day or one every two days.
i'd focus on open chords at first.

it's just a muscle memory thing that comes with time...give a week or two of chipping away at it every day for a few minutes.

it might be more fun to learn chords in the context of songs so you have something to play.
or just write a new song every time you learn a new chord

i would skip tab completly, maybe a mel bay beginnner book would be good for you...they are only like $5 i think

Archived