Powerchord progressions for metal

Y4RUH8?

• Members

Ok I know abit of Diatonic theory so I am all familiary with the progressions for triads and stuff that we use over certain scales. However, how do I use powerchords?

Say I want to have this wickedly awesome shred solo in C Major, or A minor. Which powerchords would I use to back it up? Thanks guys.

• Members

well let's say A minor: you're gonna want to start with an A5 power chord obviously, but there's no rules as to what other chords to use, in fact metal is known for having nonsensical chord progressions. To make it sound heavier you might try chromatic chord changes, like in death metal, or like metallica uses (master of puppets is in the key of Em, and the first chord is an E5 at the 12th fret, and they descend chromatically, that is, one half-step at a time, down the neck using E as a pedal tone) The use of an open string as a pedal tone in metal is very common, usually using either the lowest or second-lowest string. So in your Am song you could hit different chords and use some sort of syncopation with the open A string to get the implied Am sound. This is a very basic and cliche way to write metal riffs though so try to mix it up a bit and just use your ears.

• Members

Well if you know Diatonic Theory, then you know what chords are in a Key. If you need help determining what chords are in a Key...this will help you...

http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/MusicTheory/Diatonic/WhatKey.htm

It'll show you how to decipher and devise chords with in a Key.

The Power chords are really just playing the Root and the 5th Intervals of other/larger barre chords.

Here's my write up on Power Chords: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/MusicTheory/ChdCon/ChdCon1.htm

Hopefully those help.

Archived