NEW!!! the Indian Sliding Techniques lessons are posted!!! Come and get them...

gennation

• Members

Part 1 is complete!!!

Go to, http://lessons.mikedodge.com scroll down, you'll see the link.

This is a video lesson covering a number of things to give you that "middle-eastern" sound to your playing.

Read the "Before You Start" page, then work your way through them one by one. Each one builds off the other.

It covers a demonstration and 17 lessons, with a "Food for Thought" closing section, a special Dominant scale, scale approached, a number of sliding techniques, fingers, picking, and more.

It's not the end all to this style but, if your looking for something new, something approachable, something applicable, and something that will add a little "other worldly" sound to your playing, COME OVER!!!

Have fun, and enjoy!

PS Anyone know where to store 100MB+ video files on the Internet, for free?

PS This is my first video attempt, things are slow at first but once the explanations are out of the way in the first few lessons, things start moving a bit better.

WARNING...I'm a pretty damn laid back guy!!! :p

• Members

That was fantastic... Spent the last 4 hours going through them all and trying some different things. Very cool. I remember a while back watching a link to a video performance you gave with an acoustic and thinking.. damn that is so cool, I wish I knew how he got that sound. Now I do, THANKS!

• Members

That was fantastic... Spent the last 4 hours going through them all and trying some different things. Very cool. I remember a while back watching a link to a video performance you gave with an acoustic and thinking.. damn that is so cool, I wish I knew how he got that sound. Now I do, THANKS!

Awesome click!

Actually I think I know the video you're talking about...

I did a tutorial on just about everything I did in that vid. It's the Phrygian Dominant Tutorial at http://lessons.mikedodge.com.

The video is part of the intro of that tutorial, then I walk through just about every lick, with audio, tab, and explanation. Have at it!

Thanks for checking the lessons out, hope they inspire!

• Members

Do you ever go to the forum yourself?

Yes I do Roadrat. Every couple of days. I see that you signed up, thank you.

I use the forum mainly for keeping track of of different topics. Like if I make a big drawn out reply to certain thread/topic, that I believe are useful, I'll copy and paste it over there for reference. Kind of like things that aren't quite up to putting on my lesson site.

Sometimes some of those subject become lessons at my lesson site though.

It's a combination of stuff maybe I just learned, conversations from other forums I hang at, etc... I use it to centralize a bunch of stuff. And, I'll link people to it instead of writing the same things again and again.

I did reply to your post though. Go check it out.

Thanks again for signing up. If you have any question regarding my lessons, or any new topics to bring up, please feel free to post them there.

• Members

I've been looking to try this out with my Gibson SG voodoo for awhile after hearing the sitar used on electronic ambient-type progressive rock on musicalstarstreams.com.

The sounds I usually go for are big, spacey Floyd-esque guitars with delay, chorus, and reverb with a tube amp, but lately I've been experimenting with the AdrenalinnII and running loops of my guitar-playing through reason. This allows me to keep the pure clean signal and non-destructively try out different tweaks while being able to trigger samples of myself playing guitar with a MIDI keyboard.

Another "world music" inspired idea: incorporating the Didgeridoo and some South American drums with moderately distorted riffs and chords from the minor scale.....

I wish my guitar playing skills were as vivid as my imagination....

GREAT POST, BY THE WAY!

• Members

PS Anyone know where to store 100MB+ video files on the Internet, for free?

Rapidshare

With the free option if the files are not downloaded for a certain period, they are deleted.

They used to have some fairly cheap paid options, and I think that they store the files permanently with those.

Archived