Building chords from major scale

• Members

I understand the formula for creating a major chord 1 3 5 interval.

So from the C major scale C Major chord would be CEG

What I don't understand is how a chord is minor from the major scale.

CFA = Dm chord. Why is this Dm? I was assuming since all the notes are from the major scale they would be major chords. What am I missing here?

I understand the formula for creating a major chord 1 3 5 interval.

So from the C major scale C Major chord would be CEG

What I don't understand is how a chord is minor from the major scale.

CFA = Dm chord. Why is this Dm? I was assuming since all the notes are from the major scale they would be major chords. What am I missing here?

Probably a typo, but D minor is 'D F A.'

The major scale is major because the first chord is major, but the rest of the chords are different kinds, some major, other notes. In a minor scale, the first chord is minor, but the same variety ensues with the other chords.

A major chord is major because of the spacing between the notes. A major triad has a major third between the root and third (4 half steps) and a minor third between the 3rd and 5th (3 half steps). Just adding those together (7 half steps), you end up with a perfect 5th between the root and 5th.

A minor chord has a minor third between the root and 3rd (3 half steps), and a major third between the third and 5th (4 half steps). The root and 5th still form a perfect 5th (7 half steps).

One of the chords in the major scale is a diminished triad, which has a minor third between the root and 3rd (3 hs), and yet another minor third between the 3rd and 5th (also 3 hs). Together, that adds up to 6 half steps between the root and 5th, which in this case form a diminished 5th (instead of a perfect 5th).

• Members

Probably a typo, but D minor is 'D F A.'

The major scale is major because the first chord is major, but the rest of the chords are different kinds, some major, other notes. In a minor scale, the first chord is minor, but the same variety ensues with the other chords.

A major chord is major because of the spacing between the notes. A major triad has a major third between the root and third (4 half steps) and a minor third between the 3rd and 5th (3 half steps). Just adding those together (7 half steps), you end up with a perfect 5th between the root and 5th.

A minor chord has a minor third between the root and 3rd (3 half steps), and a major third between the third and 5th (4 half steps). The root and 5th still form a perfect 5th (7 half steps).

One of the chords in the major scale is a diminished triad, which has a minor third between the root and 3rd (3 hs), and yet another minor third between the 3rd and 5th (also 3 hs). Together, that adds up to 6 half steps between the root and 5th, which in this case form a diminished 5th (instead of a perfect 5th).

Yes that was a type o DFA = Dm, still don't understand why it is Dm, why is it not dmaj? DFA all natural notes in key of C major, why is it Dm?

Yes that was a type o DFA = Dm, still don't understand why it is Dm, why is it not dmaj? DFA all natural notes in key of C major, why is it Dm?

In order to follow the pattern of a major third between R and 3rd, and minor third between 3rd and 5th to make a major triad, you'd have to spell it D - F# - A. With an F natural, it fits the minor form, and thus is D minor.

The chords in a major key are not all major. Some are major, some are minor, and one is diminished. Only the ones that fit the pattern for a major triad are major.

• Members

In order to follow the pattern of a major third between R and 3rd, and minor third between 3rd and 5th to make a major triad, you'd have to spell it D - F# - A. With an F natural, it fits the minor form, and thus is D minor.

The chords in a major key are not all major. Some are major, some are minor, and one is diminished. Only the ones that fit the pattern for a major triad are major.

Not getting it, what is the pattern you are talking about. How do you get f# from a c major scale. CDEFGABC all natural WWHWWWH

Not getting it, what is the pattern you are talking about. How do you get f# from a c major scale. CDEFGABC all natural WWHWWWH

You don't get F#... that's why D major is not found in the key of C, but D minor is.

The patterns for the triads:

Major: R ww 3 wh 5

Minor: R wh 3 ww 5

Diminished: R wh 3 wh 5

The labels 'root,' '3rd,' and '5th' apply to all chords, no matter which note you're starting on; note just the triad built from the first note of the scale. This is done for simplicity, as it's easier to call the first note of all triads the 'root,' the next the '3rd,' and the last the '5th,' rather than having to memorize different numbers for each chord in a key (i.e., 246, 613, etc)

• Members

If you have a good grasp on Intervals and general chord theory, please visit the link "Diatonic Theory" at my lesson site: http://lessons.mikedodge.com

If you need an understanding of Intervals and general chord building (formulas) make sure you read the Intervals and the Chord Construction links too.

The Diatonic Theory link will help clear up what you're working on right now. Read through the whole things as it covers a ton related to building chords and scales from the Major scale.

Good luck.

• Members

You don't get F#... that's why D major is not found in the key of C, but D minor is.

The patterns for the triads:

Major: R ww 3 wh 5

Minor: R wh 3 ww 5

Diminished: R wh 3 wh 5

The labels 'root,' '3rd,' and '5th' apply to all chords, no matter which note you're starting on; note just the triad built from the first note of the scale. This is done for simplicity, as it's easier to call the first note of all triads the 'root,' the next the '3rd,' and the last the '5th,' rather than having to memorize different numbers for each chord in a key (i.e., 246, 613, etc)

I know about the 3rd and 5th of all chords, but your not explaining why or how I get dm out of a c major scale. What is the rule of thumb. I'm just learning this stuff, I'm building traids from the c major scale, CEG, DFA, EGB, ect.. now just learning these how would I know CEG is Cmajor not Cm, how would I know DFA is Dm not Dmajor, building these from the major scale I just thought they would all be major chords.

• Members

how would I know CEG is Cmajor not Cm, how would I know DFA is Dm not Dmajor

The distance between the 1st and 3rd notes is what determines if it's major or minor.

Let's look at the 7 notes that make up the C major scale. They are in bold below.

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B

Now let's look at the notes that make up a C major chord, C E G. They are underlined below.

As you can see, E is 4 notes away from the C. In a major chord, there are 4 half-steps between the 1st and 3rd of the chord. Now, let's look at the notes that make up a D minor chord, D F A:

As you can see, in this chord there are only 3 half-steps between the 1st and 3rd in the chord. F is 3 notes away from D. It is this difference that makes the D chord minor.

• Members

The distance between the 1st and 3rd notes is what determines if it's major or minor.

Let's look at the 7 notes that make up the C major scale. They are in bold below.

C
C#
D
D#
E
F
F#
G
G#
A
A#
B

Now let's look at the notes that make up a C major chord, C E G. They are underlined below.

C
C#
D
D#
E
F
F#
G
G#
A
A#
B

As you can see, E is
notes away from the C. In a major chord, there are
half-steps between the 1st and 3rd of the chord. Now, let's look at the notes that make up a D minor chord, D F A:

C
C#
D
D#
E
F
F#
G
G#
A
A#
B

As you can see, in this chord there are only
half-steps between the 1st and 3rd in the chord. F is
notes away from D.
It is this difference that makes the D chord minor.

Thats what I was missing thanks

Archived