Steve Morse arpeggio workout

• Members

Guitar Player Mag has a nice Steve Morse arpeggio series, but can anyone tell me what scale it's in?

It fits a C major scale, across Phyrgian and Aeolian, but the degrees of the scale used don't make sense to me. In other words, this Morse riff uses the following positions of the C major scale on the fretboard:

e||---|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|-7-|-1-|-

b||---|---|-2-|---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|-

g||---|-6-|---|-7-|-1-|---|-2-|-

d||---|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|-

a||---|-7-|-1-|---|-2-|---|-3-|-

e||-4-|---|-5-|---|-6-|---|---|-

That fits fine, but that means the arpeggios are 4-1-3, 5-2-4, 6-3-5, 7-4-6, etc, which doesn't seem right. I was expecting 1-3-5 for Major, 1-b3-5 for minor, etc. Am I taking the term "arpeggio" too literally?

• Members

Sorry... my attachment didn't work, so I copied the riff into my message. Sorry about my poor typography:

Guitar Player Mag has a nice Steve Morse arpeggio series, but can anyone tell me what scale it's in?

• Members
That fits fine, but that means the arpeggios are 4-1-3, 5-2-4, 6-3-5, 7-4-6, etc, which doesn't seem right. I was expecting 1-3-5 for Major, 1-b3-5 for minor, etc. Am I taking the term "arpeggio" too literally?

Any chord can be arpeggiated, and not all chords are just 1-3-5. In this case, he's playing seventh-chord arpeggios that don't include the 3rd notes (just 1-5-7), which makes them sort of ambiguous, but the chords that are implied are Fmaj7, then G7, then Am7, and so on.

Archived