Help with Chord Progression

• Members

Come on over to my lesson site (http://lessons.mikedodge.com) and read these links in the order listed below. This will help you avoid jumping into the middle, and keep your head from spinning. It start you from the ground up:

1. Intervals (fundamental note relations and how they pertain to scales and chords)

2. Chord Construction (from the diad to the triad, to extended chords, to symmetrical chords)

3. Diatonic Theory (Keys, chords built in a Key, scale within a Key, etc...)

Those are three VERY important fundamental aspects you NEED to understand if you are going to venture into the land of "how do this work"/"why does this go together with this"/"what's the understanding behind this", or IOW Music Theory.

What those will do (if read in that order) will basically take you by the hand and walk you through an organized, comprehensive, guitar applicable, ground up approach to learning how to answer your own questions, "get to the next level" of understanding, etc..etc...

Think of it as a book that's written in simple terms for the beginner, but also has something to offer for even the seasoned players.

I've been playing guitar seriously for over 30 years, teaching this stuff since about 1981, played pro for many years, am still very active in playing AND learning, and spend my free time trying to provide people who want to learn with many of the basic tools and even somethings the old-timers may not have thought of, all on the Internet...for free!

Spend some time with those links, it's not a one time deal, many of us read things over and over to grasp more information each time and solidify things. You should to, it's part of growth. Then you spend years and years of realizing things and refining your personal understanding of it all.

Take a month and use the site, there's a wealth of information there, all you have to do is put in the time. So, don't "bookmark it", "use it".

Enjoy!!!

• Members

rgordon83.....That is a good lesson. Thanks.

Could you give me that lesson on Arpeggio scales or would it be over my head??

thanks jerry! I appreciate the good feedback. Always keeps me motivated to keep posting...

Not sure exactly what you are asking. Whe you say "that lesson" do you mean the diatonic harmony lesson? If so all you would have to do would be to "arpeggiate" the chords of the diatonic key. I have a post on arpeggios too, that ight be of some help:http://theguitarresource.com/chords/learning-arpeggios-what-are-arpeggios-and-how-should-i-use-them/

let me know if that helps or if you still have questions...

• Members

gennation.....More good stuff. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Now, back to the original question.

Can I use chords from an A major scale that will fit in with notes from an A arpeggio scale??

Yes, you can use A major scale if soloing over an A major arpeggio.

• Members

I think I am in over my head here??

Hopefully not for long. just takes a bit of time. You'll get it soon. If you need some background info check out the "music theory" category on my site and go all the way back to the older posts. those are very elementary

Archived