Singing non-chord tones

• Members

Hi. What would the affect on a song be if you mainly sang non-chord tones? For example, in the key of A, on the A chord, singing a B note or an F#? Notice that these notes are in the key of A, but are not chord tones. I could sing chord tones of the A chord but they would only be in passing.

When I changed chords to Bm, for example, I would sing an A note or a C#, and the chord tones only in passing.

I am hoping that this technique would make the melody less predictable and more lasting. What do you think?

• Members

I'm not sure exactly what the question is, but the main thing is to have it sound good.

In your examples, the notes B and F# are extensions of the A chord. The B is a 9th and F# is a 13th. For Bm, the A is a b7 and C# is a 9th. So for example, the note A over a Bm chord is a Bm7 harmony. All of those should sound ok.

There are "rules" as to what notes sound good over which chords (but rules are made to be broken...). For example certain chords don't want to have a b9 interval between chord tones and the extensions. That is one reason you don't have a 11 over a major chord (because it produces a b9 interval with the third of the chord).

• Members

What do you think?

Try it.

Non-chord tones want to resolve to chord tones. Typically a good balance of tension and resolution will yield the most pleasant and interesting sound to the listener. If you plan on avoiding chord tones, you may have to be clever/creative in order to make it work effectively. The results might be great if you pull it off well, though. Once again, try it.

• Members

Hi. What would the affect on a song be if you mainly sang non-chord tones? For example, in the key of A, on the A chord, singing a B note or an F#? Notice that these notes are in the key of A, but are not chord tones. I could sing chord tones of the A chord but they would only be in passing.

When I changed chords to Bm, for example, I would sing an A note or a C#, and the chord tones only in passing.

I am hoping that this technique would make the melody less predictable and more lasting. What do you think?

Sounds like jazz.

Sounds like jazz.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Those notes, such as B or F# over an A minor chord, though not primary chord tones (such as A, C, or E), will still be heard as chord tones, nonetheless. They may feel slightly unresolved, but they will still be heard as a chord tone, rather than a passing tone.

Archived