can play cleaner going up than down

• Members

doing standard chromatic exercise 1234 1234 1234 etc, when doing 4321 it just isn't as clean and I have worked on this for many hours but still sounds like i'm muting the notes sometimes when i want them to ring out clean

is this common, the thing is i'm not sure whether it's to do with picking or my fretting hand, would have thought it must be the fretting hand but i can play the exercises using pull-offs smoother than picking it

i think i know the answer, and it's just to practice more but wanna see if anyones got any tips :)

• Members

Take a closer look at your picking. You might need someone else to watch and tell you. I had the same problem. I was econo/sweep picking going down and I was alternate picking when going up. I didn't even know I was doing it till one of my teachers pointed it out to me and found it odd. Can take a while to fix, if you consider it broken. I still do it without thinking sometimes.

• Members

Before you even begin to pick the exercise, visualize it. Put your fret hand on the guitar and slowly do the exercise. Being sure to visualize and internalize the movements the whole time. Then, and only then, begin actually playing it. And be sure to use a metronome and do not be afraid to practice it mind numbingly slow. :thu

• Members

I had the same problem when I began playing (and for a long time thereafter). Work at it slowly, tediously, and relentlessly and eventually the discrepancy will diminish. I don't know that it ever totally goes away, as I still notice a difference when I play really fast ascending lines v. really fast descending lines, but short of pushing my own top speed the difference is not really audible any more.

Archived